Monday, August 10, 2009

Pictures

I need some help!
When I became a mom I was not prepared for the responsibility of having my son's pictures taken. He is going to be 8 months old, and the only professional pictures I have of him are from when he is 5 weeks old--supposed to be his newborn pictures. So, now here I am...I have missed so many opportunities to take pictures at 3, 4, or even 6 month intervals. What am I supposed to do now? Should I just skip any professional pictures until he is 1 year old? I remember my mom always had our baby pictures on the walls, and with all 6 of us, she managed to have pictures of us all at the same ages and the same intervals.

This has also messed me up for any of my future children. If I have another child and I start taking pictures at regular intervals with him/her, then Scott will have been cheated out of those. And, how am I supposed to hang pictures on the wall of all my babies at the same age, when I don't have any of Scott? Now, don't get me wrong, I have a lot of pictures, but they just don't seem frame worthy. So, I have considered making some kind of collage with the home-pictures for the first year.

I just need some advice. Where do I go from here? How do I make this right? Am I a little crazy? Yes.

6 comments:

Case Family said...

Sometimes the cutest pictures are those taken in the moment. I have taken pictures of my kids at each month on my own. They have turned out just as cute as a professional's would. I would just use the ones that you have. They will be just as cute. After all it's the subject you want not the background. :)

Cristin said...

Who says you need professional pictures? We've never done that and we have gotten some really cute ones just like the previous comment said.

MaryAnn said...

I never got Sara's "good pics" done when they were supposed to be. Make up your own rules. I have! lol

Jennifer said...

your not as bad as I am. Hannah had a professional picture taken like every 3 months. Elisabeth who is now 18 months old STILL has not had one taken! SEE?? I'm a HORRIBLE mom. I was going to take her on Monday but decided that its so over priced to go to the studio. Dan takes really good pictures and we have a pretty decent camera so I've just decided to start taking pictures ourselves and you can get them enlarged at costco for dirt cheap. Try not to feel too bad, all is not lost. Just start doing something NOW! LOL ;)

Amanda said...

it upset my mother that I did not get photos taken of Elliott until he was a year. Truth was I was lazy and figured if I set the bar low then the middle child or youngest would not feel left out. Haha Every once and a while I would put him in a cute outfit and try and take photos. Good luck! there is no right or wrong!!!

Jolie said...

I know we're not close friends or anything but I wanted to reassure you that you are NOT, I repeat, NOT a bad mother for not taking enough professional pictures of your infant son.

You have obviously been diligent about taking plenty of your own pictures of him in his own environment, exploring his new world, and, most importantly, with the people who love him the most--with you and Matt.

Motherhood is stressful enough in its own rite. I think it's actually kind of sad that mothers in our society today set the bar for each other WAY too high. And we find ourselves measuring the value of our mothering skills on silly stuff like "how many professional pictures we've taken" or "how many sports and activities my child does".
These sorts of things are just not going to matter long term. They're not going to have any kind of effect on their emotional or psychological well being, so long as we're doing what matters most--LOVING THEM the way that only their mother can.

I have 3 kids who were born in 3.5 years. So I made a conscious decision to NOT allow myself to buy into all this crap that our media and many of my "mommy peers" feed me about the measure of a good mother.

I take pictures of my kids. I keep up their baby books. We go to the library. And the park. And the zoo. Stuff like that.
But I purposely don't enroll them in tons of activities or spend oodles of money on professional pictures just so I can feel like a better mother.

Your son is so cute! I can tell just from your blog that you are a loving, doting, engaged mother. And for these traits alone, he is going to adore you.