Friday, May 18, 2007

Movie Theater Etiquette

Tonight Matt and I went on a date to go see Spiderman 3. I have been looking forward to seeing this movie for a long time. Matt doesn't care for seeing a movie in a crowded theater so we purposely waited a few weeks for the crowds die down. So on a whim we decided to go tonight.
I wish I could give you my opinion about the movie, but unfortunately Matt and I were "forced" to leave early. The theater wasn't crowded by any means, but the crowd that was there was so noisy. There were large families with a lot of young children that made A LOT of noise and crying babies.... grrrrrrr. Take them out!!!! OK, I may change my tune when I have children of my own, or perhaps I will leave them at home with a babysitter!
A teenage kid at the end of our row kept using his cell phone. In the time we were there, about two hours, he had used his cell phone over 5 times. Ridiculous! We kept shushing him, giving him "the look", etc. It was so unbelievable, he didn't even flinch. I wish parents would instill some respect into their children. I would have never made a peep in a movie theater as a kid, minus outloud laughter or a scream when the velociraptor came breaking through the ceiling in Jurassic Park.
Then there were about 3 kids who kept RUNNING up and down the theater steps several times throughout the movie. I finally figured out that they were going to fill up their popcorn and bringing it to their family over and over again. I don't mind people having to get up and leave, but I do mind it when they make a ton of noise while they were doing it. The point being that it was extremely distracting to the movie. And in addition to the kids running around, there were also a fair amount of theater hoppers that had to find seats in the middle of the movie.
Last of all, I feel that when people go the movies they should not put their feet on the seats in front of them. Where are the manners???? I could scream. We finally left and asked the manager for a refund, and he also offered to send a security gaurd into the theater to settle the crowd down. I guess we will only be seeing matinees and have to wait a few months before we see a big blockbuster again.
So next time you decide to see a movie, please remember the people around you. They, like you, also want to see the movie. I am not directing this to anyone who might be reading my blog, but it is more of a rant that needed to be said to the dopes in the theater tonight.

3 comments:

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I totally agree with you Katie. I can't stand when people have no theater ettiquette. By any chance did you go to the Fullerton AMC?- that is the absolute worst. We stay clear of that place!!!

Tracy said...

I'm so glad you got a refund!! UGH!

Cristin said...

We saw Shrek on Friday night and someone had a crying baby in there that they didn't take out and I was going nuts... crying babies do not belong in movie theaters. I can say that because I have a crying baby. Anyway, totally agree with your post.