Saturday, February 2, 2008

Would you like some chips with that salt?

Let's say you have gone out to eat at a Mexican restaurant (one of my favorites, by the way). And as expected they deliver the basket of chips and the cup of salsa. Now personally, I am not shy and I dig right in, but my dad and I had a conversation about this situation that I thought was intriguing. He had gone out with a business associate of some kind to lunch at El Torito (fantastic chips and salsa!). Then immediately after the chips were placed on the table, this other person started shaking salt all over this community basket of chips. I too have experienced this same situation. I was out with some girls from work, and not only did she salt the chips, but she also salted the salsa.

Now, like I said, I am not shy about eating the chips and salsa, but I think it is a little presumptuous of anyone to start putting salt on a community plate of food. My dad gave the example, what if I wanted ketchup on my chips? Could I just go ahead and add ketchup to the community chips? No, of course not. I can honestly say that even though salt is a common seasoning on tortilla chips I think that if a person has special "needs" for their chips they ought to be polite enough to ask for their own basket and defile them as much as they want. Leave the community chips alone!

4 comments:

Erin said...

HAHAHA I couldn't agree more :P

Ashley said...

Usually people do ask. That is odd they didn't.

Candace said...

That is really weird that she didn't ask...

Tracy said...

totally rude. Can't imagine! They should pick up their chip, salt it, then eat it - one at a time!! :)