Saturday, May 10, 2008

Maybe I am the only one....

I know I may be the only human in existence that noticed this, but I just had to say something. I understand that "gotta" is not actually a word, so perhaps Burger King took poetic license, so this post may be pointless.

The word "gotta" is short for "got to." Examples are "I gotta pee!" or "I gotta run." or "I gotta get me one of those!" Now the way this billboard has it written out it would actually mean "Got to buck?" Now that doesn't make any sense unless you are a horse.

I realize they actually mean "Got a buck?" But why did they have to go so far as to add an extra T to the billboard. It still is good advertising, maybe not as "cute" but at least it would be "grammatically" correct. I am not an English major, I do not claim to have a full understanding of all the rules of the English language, but I do have a few pet peeves when it comes to things like this.

I also take issue with the word "milk" when pronounced as "melk" (just listen, you will hear people say it). But that is another post all together!

7 comments:

MaryAnn said...

I agree! Let's not encourage our already grammatically backward society to sink further. YOu should see how people text message. It's truly sad.

MaryAnn said...

Sorry for the typing error. Too funny considering my comment!

Candace said...

Katie,
You are too funny. I know you get really upset about thinks like grammar and how people pronounce things.I remember your whole family talking about how people pronounce Porsche. Still makes me laugh

Karli said...

ha i know with that whole melk thing. i especially have the problem when people say "drawl" for draw. what the heck??!! is there and l at the end that we all dont know about????

Anonymous said...

Katie,

I agree! Here's another one that gets me: "libary" for libRARY! Even the popular kids' cartoon Dora pronounces it incorrectly!

Kelly

Jamie and Family said...

I love that you noticed that! You are totally right? Now I'm extremely curious what their explanation would be/?????

C'mon BK, tell us!

Jennifer said...

LOL...that's all I have to say!