Sunday, May 25, 2008

Drumroll please.....

I have been waiting for the right time to write about this and I figured that it is finally time to let you all know (whoever "you all" may be) that I am in fact PREGNANT. Yes it is true!!! This coming Wednesday I will officially be 3 months preggie. Everything has been going well so far. I had a little bit of nausea a couple of weeks ago, but nothing too significant. Early on in the pregnancy I really had no desire to eat. Its not that I wasn't hungry, I just didn't ever feel like eating. But now is a different story. It was like one day someone flipped a switch and now I am hungry constantly and all I want to do is eat. I was tempted to get out of bed last night at 11:30 or so to get something to eat. My other "symptom" which isn't really a typical thing...according to most women I have spoken to, is sciatic pain. BOOOO!!!!! This marvelous nerve in the back of my leg that runs up into my tailbone area is getting pinched. Every time I need to bend over/stand up, get out of bed, lean this way or that way I get a sharp pain in my left, um...cheek. It stinks, it is kind of bothersome. I can't be on my feet for too long, so walking for exercise is pretty much out of the question. I have been thinking about taking up yoga to see if that would help. Any other suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem?

This is such a wonderful time in my life. I have a lot of joy and happiness around me, and it is such a blessing to be where I am. It is such a fantastic feeling to be finished with school, but nothing compares to the honor and excitement I feel of becoming a mother...wow, that sounded weird, and it was kind of strange to write it too. I guess I am still trying to convince myself that it is real and that I haven't been dreaming. In that case I just have to bend over and feel that nerve twinge and ah, yes...I am pregnant. No
t to mention the beautiful moment of my very first ultrasound at week 7. My little "buggette" (my family's nickname for me is "Bug" so therefore my dad has called the baby buggette) didn't look like much at the time, but I saw that little heart beating and it was the most amazing thing in the world! I couldn't laugh, I couldn't cry, (mostly because if I moved the ultrasound picture would disappear), but I look at those pictures now and I am just so amazed at the life that my Heavenly Father has entrusted to me. Besides seeing the heartbeat, nothing beats hearing the heartbeat. Last week I was able to go in to the doctor and after looking for about a minute, he found that swishing throb that is my baby's heart. I definitely cried that day!!! It was such a relief to hear the evidence that all was well. I know so many women have gone before me. I am lucky to have a mother, a sister, a sister-in-law, and so many friends that I can talk to about my experience. But I am a sentimental person (I still have the bottle cap to the sparkling cider that we drank the night Matt proposed to me) and so I am soaking up every memory and experience that I have.

I am not the only one that is excited!!! In the time that Matt and I have been married I have seen him grow so much. I think the most influential part of preparing him for fatherhood was the birth of our niece and nephews. It has been wonderful seeing Matt play with the children and show sincere love and care for them. It is also very clear to me the love and care that he has for his own baby. He has come to every doctor's appointment so far, and he checks up on me: did I take my vitamins, did I eat lunch, did I drink enough water, go take a nap, etc. He even made me a fruit smoothie for breakfast one morning to ensure that I got all my fruit servings for the day! He also doesn't like it if I poke my belly...he is very protective of the baby. All the gifts that I have received from him are things ultimately for the baby too. I love his enthusiasm and excitement. I realize that his behavior is not the universal norm for all men in this world, so again, I count my blessings!

Well, there it is. The beginning of another countdown!! My due date is December 10, 2008 (my grandma's birthday). I am very grateful for this special blessing our lives, and I do welcome any advice, tidbits that worked for you, and recommendations. (And if I think the ideas sound crazy, then I just will ignore them! HA!) Take care!

13 comments:

Cristin said...

Wow, I'm so surprised! Congratulations. That is fantastic news. I'm sorry you're in so much pain, hopefully your 2nd trimester will be better.

Jean Willard said...

I am so excited the word is out!!! You will be such a great Mommy! Congrats again!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

congrats !!You will be a great Mom!! You made me tear up reading about hearing the heartbeat for the first time. There is nothing quite like becoming a mother!! It's the most beautiful/rewarding/hard privilege/blessing/job mixed all in one.

Holly said...

Glad you can finally come "Out"! :) The first time being preggie is pretty amazing - I was remembering all the similar things from when I was pregnant with Jackson (ultrasound, heartbeat, etc.) and it's true how much those things really get to you. Sorry about the sciatic nerve problem! Not fun to have a symptom like that so early on, but hang in there and at least you can count on having that subside once the little one is born (I know,k not thrilling to think of dealing with it throughout the pregnancy, but perhaps this will allow for some good massages!!!) :) Exciting times for you and Matt to come!!!

Ashley said...

Congrats. I know you will be such a good mother. You seem like you will be a natural.

I had pains from a sciatic nerve from the beginning too. Eventually in the middle of my pregnancy it went away, but came back near the end. I thought it was so strange that the baby was only a dot and already I was having pains.

sosilly said...

How very exciting. Congratulations on being prego. Hope all goes well and we look forward to the 17 week ultra sound tell all.
Love,
Aunt Pam

MaryAnn said...

Yeah!!!!! Congrats! Sorry about the sciatica. All I can advise is try to take it easy to avoid flare ups. This too shall pass!!

Erin said...

KATIE!!! CONGRATS! that is so exciting!

Jolie said...

Oh how awesome!! You will LOVE the experience of pregnancy and motherhood. Truly. It's all miraculous and well-worth the sometimes uphill trip.
You two are going to be amazing parents.

I also had the sciatic (sp?) nerve problem with pg #2, although for me it didn't show its ugly face until 2nd trimester or so.
What my doc recommended is to do daily stretches to keep that area as limber as possible.
The best stretch I found was to get down on the floor on all fours and slowly arch your back like a cat. (you know, how cats arch their back up when they're waking up from naps!)
I'd do that stretch at least a few times a day and it did seem to help reduce the number of times that the nerve acted up.

Unfortunately the only thing that will "cure" it is having the baby. ;-(
I hope it doesn't get too bad when the baby gets bigger!!

Again, congrats you two and have a fun time together preparing for your little baby!!!!!

Jamie and Family said...

Hooray Katie and Matt! You guys have built a great foundation in your years together. Which will be very needed since you will not have an uninterrupted conversation for about 20 more years. Ha ha ha, no seriously, I'm really excited for you guys!

Candace said...

YOUR PREGNANT???? I CAN'T BELIEVE. Why didn't you call me???? I am so confused.. Where do babies come from?? Will you call and tell me..

Lewis Times said...

Hooray! Sorry about the pain. I'm glad I haven't had to deal with that. Yeah, just the smallest little thing and already making your body react in all sorts of ways - truly amazing. I'm so excited for you!

Carlotta said...

I was SO EXTREMELY confused when I pulled up your blog and saw the counter. I thought I had clicked on somebody elses link! It took me a minute to process it. Talk about perfect timing to have been able to finish school How wonderful to have that under your belt. That is a HUGE blessing. CONGRATULATIONS! No matter the reasoning behind it all it is wonderful that you guys had the time together that you did to really get to know each other and to have those years under you. It will be a blessing when this special spirit comes home. Enjoy all the appointments. That are amazing!