Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Call me pregnant

I am now a medical condition. My name is "pregnant." My identity and my abilities are all focused around the fact that I am expecting a baby. I love the fact that I am pregnant, however, I am not the one that has turned me into a medical condition. The top offenders of my new identity are my very nice co-workers/boss, followed up by a few friends. I work in an oral surgery office and so there are certain precautions that I must take (i.e., like not pointing the x-ray tube directly at my tummy... or breathing nitrous oxide continuously). Well, these simple precautions have been taken to the extreme. Not only am I not allowed to even touch the x-ray button, or be anywhere near a room that nitrous is being utilized (which is never by the way), but I am frequently told to: go away, or run! I get scolded when I come near certain things. Ah, all for the safety of my little one, but seriously...I am not an idiot. I am fully aware of safety precautions in order to keep me and my baby safe. But like I said, I am no longer Katie, I am pregnant. :)

I don't want this to be read as if I am upset about it. I love the fact that so many people are excited and care for me. I just think it is funny. Speaking of funny, my co-workers have also started a pool (but there isn't any $$ involved) about the sex and delivery date of the baby. It is about 50%/50% split on boy vs. girl, and for estimations on due dates I range from November 29th-December 25th. YIKES! One of my co-workers decided to make an educated guess on the sex of the baby, she called me over and without hesitating (or asking) lifted up my scrub top to check out my belly. Then she had me turn around and she patted me down cop-style to check out my hips. She sure was trying to be accurate!! LOL, well...I didn't mind, I was just a little surprised.

9 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Katie it is too funny how people react. Better they care then some places where they think you are an alien or something when you are preggo. Now you'll get to use all the fun slang that comes with pregnancy and motherhood. Who hoo!

Cristin said...

This is why I didn't tell my co-workers I was pregnant with Luke until I was almost 6 months along! I guess you have to in your situation because of the x-ray equipment, etc., but I hated the special treatment.

Erin said...

Hi Pregnant!

good seeing you the other day :P

Not that I would ever wish you two weeks overdue... cuz thats just mean... but if kidlet comes on the 25th they can share my bday with me :P

bye pregnant!

er i mean katie

:D

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Hi Pregnant woman!!

Just kidding...
I think it's funny. My coworkers were always so overprotective of me. It was a little annoying but I soon worked it to my advantage.. When I was preggos with Michael- all the guys would buy me lunch, scream if i lifted anything that weighed more than an ounce, And the women- It was like I had 25 Vietnamese moms.. Babied to the extreme. I'm surprised they didn't spoon feed me.Lol..

Holly said...

Welcome to the Wonderful, Wacky and somewhat "Woe-is-me" world of being PREGGO!!!

Before I had Jackson, people would ask: "So, when are you going to get pregnant?" Which then turned into; "So, haven't had that baby yet?" Which then turned into: "So, when are you going to have another one?" Yes, you shall now be and forever associated with the little one you are currently growing! There it is...the good, the bad, and the whatever...

Enjoy! :)

Jennifer said...

Hi Katie!
Gosh I haven't been online for a LONG time! its been fun reading your posts I've missed. I'm so happy for you and Matt! I can't wait to meet the little one! That is too funny what your coworker did to you and didn't even ask! I had the sciatic problem it is NOT fun so I sympathize with you.

Ashley said...

So funny. I didn't tell co-workers until I was 3 months along. I don't like the attention, and I don't like people touching my belly or lifting up my shirt. But like you said it is nice to know that people care and are excited.

Candace said...

I can't wait to see you with a nice round pregnant belly. It is going to look way cute on you...LOVE YOU!

Erin said...

ooooo ooo on what candace said... I wanna see pics of cute round belly!! that or your just gonna have to hang out with me more...