Thursday, June 26, 2008

Childhood Obesity

I haven't really had many ideas about what to blog about. I just figured that my life has been pretty simple and there isn't much to write about. But then just this morning as I was doing my daily nothing...(i.e. watching TV) I saw a report about obesity. They were reporting that this generation of children might have a shorter lifespan than their parents. This is the first time since the Civil War that we have had that statistic. I was really upset about this for a couple of reasons.

Obviously my #1 concern is for my child. I am currently 4 months pregnant (without much of a baby bump...but I promise to post pictures once I really start showing), and I realize that before I know it I am going to be a mom to one of our Heavenly Father's children, where Matt and I are completely responsible for his/her upbringing.

Concern #2 is my own personal health. I am lazy. I admit it. I can easily watch several hours of TV, and those are days where I actually go to work. I avoid house work, and I certainly don't exercise on a regular basis (actually up until recently I didn't work out at all). I have been blessed all my life because I have always been thin, but I do have obesity and diabetes in my family...so I can't totally rely on my past to keep me healthy in the future.

I was so disturbed by the idea of kids being overweight and dealing with health issues such as cardiovascular disease, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. at such young ages, and forgive me for not being completely sensitive here but I think it is the fault of the parents. (To be very clear, I am not talking about natural baby fat. I am talking about the 12, 13, 14-year olds that are getting sick, I also feel just as strongly about society creating a false-hope image of what "pretty" and "thin" is. But I think you get my point). I hope that I can do all I can to keep my children healthy, and improve my own well-being in the process.

So, now that I am going to be a new mom, I am looking for advice or ideas on what you are doing to help your children stay healthy and keep them active! Let's fight childhood obesity and help our kids have a long life expectancy! This is a heavy issue, but I don't think we are doomed, so I am keeping a positive attitude toward success! WOO HOO!!

5 comments:

Shannon Nielsen said...

Was that a pun Katie "this is a heavy issue" ?! Knowing you and your cute sense of humor it is! :-D Can't wait to see the prego pictures - take lots as I wish I had taken more! Good discussion topic though as it's one I struggle with too. It's just so darn easy to fix the kids frozen foods or eat out fast food a lot, that's probably the biggest problem. We have to work hard to focus on eating healthy & at home. We've just started going to the gym with the kids on the weekends, taking them to swim & we actually had that conversation this past weekend so it's funny you posted about it! We hope that by keeping active ourselves & eating healthy & at home that it will help our kids realize the importance of healthy habits. Kenzie is now begging to go to the gym - never thought our 3 year old would be doing that!! A friend (remember Meaghan Skogen?) anyway, her younger sister did a school project on childhood obesity - maybe I can get some good reading recommendations for you...

Erin said...

Katie I really don't think you have too much to worry about...

1. You're already thinking about it so you're less likely to let it happen
2. you work with teeth... you know what sugar does... you won't be letting your kids live on sugar.
3. somehow I don't picture your dinner routine including a nightly run to mcdonalds.

I work out a lot... but I love being lazy... My advice tho I'm no parent... do the walk thing, get a nice stroller, go to the park... I bet you'll want to do that anyways... my BEST memories with my family were every weekend going to sycamore canyon and hiking. because of that i love the outdoors, i love hiking.

As for eating... if you like cooking it can because really fun to find healthy ways to do things, doesn't have to take long...and reading the labels scare me back into healthy eating a lot of the times. I don't buy chips unless im having a party, and can't remember the last candy bar I ate...If you ever need any food tips lemme know :P I somehow am crazy domestic when it comes to my kitchen

Cristin said...

I've also been thinking a lot about this issue. I think with so many mothers having to work outside the home, they have less time to focus on feeding their family healthy meals... this might sound sexist, but women are typically the ones that cook in a home. If a mother isn't there to make her kids a healthy dinner, chances are they are going to be eating fast food or something junky.

MaryAnn said...

I guess I'm not an expert, but this is what I think.
I would say, get out with your kids. It starts young.For myself I do a Tae Bo video 2-3times a week then I take Sara on walks in her stroller, play in the pool, and crawl around on the floor for now. I know my brother Steve and his wife take the kids on a family walk every Sunday and try to do something active as a family every Saturday(the beach, the park, etc).
As far as the food thing goes I have two words for you: Trader Joes. I used to think it was soo expensive, but if you just get snack foods it's not. We now buy honey wheat pretzels $2, veggies chips/strips $2, and low sugar organic suckers $3. Super yummy and not a budget breaker. It's about making good foods convenient to eat.
Chop up your fresh foods when you get home from the store or as soon as possible and put fruit or veggies in an easy to access place. I watch a lot of Today show clips and the nutritionist Joy Bauer is awesome,I 'm trying to use her tips.
I know we are working on it. My dad was just diagnosed with diabetes.Eating right and exercise are important.

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D. said...

Life is very hard for an overweight child. I am a pediatrician and I run a child weight management program in New York. I have a daily blog on which I post suggestions for helping your overweight child become healthier. Feel free to read my blog for helpful tips! Also, please ask any questions that you may have.

Joanna Dolgoff, M.D.
http://www.childweightlossmd.blogspot.com/