Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Truth or Dare?

Remember playing Truth or Dare? Without fail someone would always ask the question "What is your most embarrassing moment?" I never really had an answer. Sure, I've done embarrassing things, I have farted in class (and let my BF take the blame...sorry Candace), I went to hygiene school with my scrub pants on inside out, I have made an idiot out of myself at parties, and I have shoved my foot in my mouth numerous times. Well, I have a new winner.

Yesterday I did a hygiene temp job. I had been having a great day until my 2nd-to-last patient. There had been a misunderstanding about him coming in early to see the dentist first and then to get his teeth cleaned with me. Well, the doctor had left early so he wasn't there to see the patient when he came in...of course the patient wasn't happy.

Luckily I was finished early with my previous patient (a child) so I was able to take this patient early, however I needed to take an x-ray of one tooth for the doctor to check next time. Now I can go into a long explanation of what happened next, but I don't want to lose you...so lets just make a long story short and say that I didn't know how to set up the computer to take a digital x-ray in this office and all the other assistants had left. So, I fumbled around with the computer and when I thought I had figured it out I put the x-ray sensor in his mouth and as I turned to walk out of the room to push the button my foot tripped on the sensor's cord and I YANKED the thing out of the poor guys mouth!!!! And of course he yelled out in surprise/pain (?) as it happened.

I apologized over and over, and I admitted how embarrassed I was, and I wanted to find the nearest darkest hole to crawl into. To make matters worse I tried to take the x-ray a 2nd time, after getting his permission to try again, and the darn thing didn't even work. I was absolutely embarrassed. I apologized once again (luckily he already knew that I was a temp, not a full time employee), and we just did his cleaning...where I hope I redeemed myself. I tried to make a joke that I could get my own business of yanking teeth out the old fashioned way with a string, but this already unhappy patient couldn't possibly get any more upset.

So, there it is. I have a new story to tell whenever someone asks me if I have a "most embarrassing moment."

9 comments:

Erin said...

hahaha awwww poor Katie :) after the surprise i think as a patient I probably would have busted up laughing.

hmmm good thing you weren't too embarrassed about singing a whole new world in front of everyone at the after prom party :D cuz that was just entertaining...

Jennifer said...

lol how funny! Atleast you can find humor in your embarrassment!

Cristin said...

At least you didn't pull his tooth out... that would have been awful. So sorry, but that is funny!

Case Family said...

Well at least he wasn't harmed. I am sure the misunderstanding with him coming in to see the doctor didn't put him a good mood. He probably would have laughed at the whole thing if he had been in a better mood. At least you can laugh about it now.

Karli said...

oh my goodness that is the funniest thing!! the funnier part is i pretty much did the exact same thing last week only with a full staff in house! We were cramped in this itty bitty xray room and as i turned to push the button outside the button on my lab coat yanked the rinn and sensor in the poor mans mouth! i nearly fell on my face and i heard a large gmffffhhhh come from him and i was so embarrassed and all i thought to do was pat his knee and say i am so sorry with the sensor still in his mouth. then when i realized it was still in there i didn't even adjust it i just ran to push the button outside. oh golly, was i blushing. awfully hot in that little room! no worries, you aren't the only one! but great story ;)

Jennifer said...

Katie, I just replied to your comment on my blog in my comments but I thought I'd tell you here in case you don't see it. You had me laughing so hard about the south park thing. I will watch that show when Dan has it on and it is really funny, but Dan and I haven't seen the episode with cartman singing so we will have to look for it. So funny!

Candace said...

I still remember that you day in math class when you farted and blamed it on me... MAKE ME LAUGH EVERY TIME. I am so sorry that you had an embarrassing day at work.

April said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That's SOOO funny. Well, not for you. But I know how you feel. It's nice to know there's someone else out there who is a little (or a lot?) klutzy like me.

Mareeba said...

Oh Katie!!

Been there done that!

Welcome to my world.