Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A funny thing happened while at the doctor's office...

**This post contains content that is not necessarily suitable for a male audience. Although the content of this post is not graphic in any way it does make reference to events that take place in a OB/GYN doctor's office. Reader discretion is advised.**

So I went in for my 6-week postpartum doctor's appointment on Monday. All through my pregnancy Matt went to all but 2 appointments with me, but now I am on my own and I also get to bring little Scott with me.

The nurse took me back to the examination room and we determined it was time for my annual exam. After I had situated myself on the exam table with my little paper drape I realized that I needed to bring Scott next to me, because by this time he was awake and I wasn't exactly in the best position to hop up to take care of him if he started to fuss. So I wrapped myself up and pulled the carseat over (which was sitting on a chair) until it was right next to me.

Everything was working out fine, Scott was looking around, and then he started to get a little fussy. I tried the pacifier, but it just wasn't what he wanted, he was hungry. Ok, so what would you do? I am waiting for the doctor to come in, I am half naked, and my baby is hungry. I kind of hesitated because the office wasn't busy at all while I was there, so really the doctor could have walked in right as I started to nurse Scott. But I took the chance, afterall I would rather ask my doctor to wait a few minutes than try to calm a screaming, hungry infant.

So there I am, sitting on the doctor's exam table, my nakedness only being covered with a little paper drape, and my top half is exposed to feed my son. Even though no one saw me, I thought I looked pretty silly. I am certainly not embarrassed to be seen nursing my son, but I just thought the situation was pretty humorous. (Maybe this is one of those "you had to be there" moments).

Scott finished eating before the doctor came in (surprise, surprise), and everything went on without a hitch. In fact, my doctor was nice enough to take Scott from me and place him back in his car seat so I wouldn't have to get up myself.

Then of course the doctor ended our visit by telling me he wouldn't need to see me for another year...unless I get pregnant...Ha! What a funny guy :P


3 comments:

Cristin said...

Whenever I am at the ObGyn, I am always afraid to get up once they put that little paper outfit on me. Even though sometimes I have waited in the exam room for 30 minutes! The last time I went, I was so tired that I just laid down on the exam table and took a nap in my paper outfit.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

lol- Don't you just love those gowns??

Candace said...

I too really hate those gowns,too. That is great that Scott finished feeding before the doctor came in.