Monday, January 12, 2009

Whack-A-Baby

Hmm, the title this post sounds bad, oh well.

This morning Scott and I were having some floor time and I got the bright idea to try to get Scott to hold his rattle. He wasn't really interested in holding it, but I was persistent. While talking to my dad on the phone I mindlessly placed the rattle in his hand one more time. He grabbed it and in his spastic baby-style flung his arm up and whacked himself in the forehead with the rattle!

He immediately started screaming, which just absolutely broke my heart. I scooped him up and held him close. I felt so bad, I couldn't help myself from crying too. I know that it was an accident, but I couldn't help but feeling so horrible about "allowing" my baby from getting hurt.

He quickly got over it, within minutes he was sleeping in my arms. So we are doing much better now. Here is a picture of sleepy Scott and the rattle.

On a much happier note, last night Matt got to feed Scott for the first time. We gave Scott his first bottle and he did so well. It was so fun to see daddy feeding Scott, I could tell he was really enjoying the moment. It is a fun "milestone." Now I can leave Scott at home with daddy if I need to.

4 comments:

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Katie,
I think it definitely hurts us more as mommies to see our babies hurting than the actual bump or fall on their receiving end. They forget about it but we don't. I can't tell you how horrible I felt when I dropped Lauren at two weeks because I was so sleep deprived. I also let Mikey fall off the bed at 7 months and well last May Lauren's front two teeth died because I was holding her and I tripped and she fell face first on the pavement. It's the absolute worst feeling in the world!! I know exactly how you felt today but I'm sure he's as happy as a bug right now and he will one day he will love reading about his first boo boo.

Jamie and Family said...

LOVE when daddy can feed the baby too! It's called mommy-freedom!!

I remember learning that same rattle lesson myself. After it happened, I thought "why didn't I realize that would happen?".

Cute cute baby!

Cristin said...

That's funny. I've done stuff like that too, where I give the kid something and he hurts himself. Nothing makes me feel worse.

MaryAnn said...

Welcome to mommyhood! It's crazy, but it happens to us all. Kuddos to you for getting the bottle introduced. YOu'll be glad to have those few hours/moments away to regroup.