Thursday, April 23, 2009

My blow out

I started a new job a few weeks ago. I work half a day on Wednesdays in a dental office down in Huntington Beach. In a perfect world I would be staying at home with Scott all day, every day...but I think this is the next best scenario. I am only working 4 hours a week (2-6pm), and my sister is able to babysit for me.

I got a call the other day from the office asking me to come early to work so that I can go to lunch with the office to celebrate the birthday of one of my co-workers. So, yesterday I left for work nice and early. However, I didn't get very far. After about a mile on the freeway I heard a loud "bang." I turned to see what it was, and saw that I was next to a semi-truck. I figured the sound came from the truck, after all...they always make big loud noises. So, I kept going, but cautiously...something wasn't right. A second or two later I heard a loud thundering sound, similar to those cars with the huge mufflers. I looked around again, and saw that a sports car was driving by. I figured that the noise must have been coming from that car, not mine. So I slowed down and waited for that car to pass me by, but instead of the sound drifting off into the distance it got louder. Ok, I can take a hint or two...so I pulled over.

Sure enough, I had completely popped a tire. The side wall of my passenger-side rear tire had blown out. This is where I heard the voice of my husband in my ears saying "We need to get you new tires, yours are starting to crack!"

So there I was, on the side of the road. I wish I could say that this was a first for me. Let me give you a little run down on my car history:

  • I used to share the family cars with multiple drivers, and a lot of times got stuck without any gas...so I have run out of gas more times than I can count
  • I have overheated a few times
  • I can now count this as my 3rd flat tire
  • I have been in a few fender-benders, but also 2 real accidents, one my fault, the other DEFINITELY not my fault
  • I have actually fish-tailed in my family's 12-seat van, doing a complete 180°turn (but give me a break, I was 15 years old with my learner's permit...this wasn't last week or anything)
  • And I once "threw a rod"...a slang term for basically punching a hole in the engine! That car died on the side of the road.
In total, I have personally been responsible for the death of 3 cars. But again, lets be fair, these are always old cars being shared by multiple drivers and never really treated very well.

So going back to me on the side of the freeway...I knew exactly what to do! Before I did anything I called Matt to let him know what was going on, and I called my office to let them know I wouldn't make it to the lunch...oh well.

I got right to work. Yes, I do know how to change a tire. And so I did, right there on the side of the freeway. No one stopped to help, but I did manage to get honked at once. Also, I learned a little something new. If your spare tire is stored underneath the car, the way to release it is inside the trunk. The carpeting had a little area that you could pull back, and use the torque wrench to turn the screw holding it on. It will then lower the tire on a cable allowing you access to the spare.

As I finished up the tire change, Matt pulled up. He was able to take my car to go get me new tires, and I took his car to get to work. I still managed to get to work 20 minutes before my first patient! Total time changing a tire: about 20 minutes.

And this is how I know I am a blogger, I was sitting there looking at my tire, I thought to myself...hmm, maybe I should take pictures so I can BLOG about this! HA! Yeah, I thought about it, but didn't do it. Maybe I can make a "how to" video about changing tires.

4 comments:

Erin said...

The first thought I had was "Venture to ota"! was that when your rod blew? or was that Lisa? One of those high school memories I'm surprised I still vaguely have :P

Jennifer said...

I'm really impressed that you knew how to change a tire! I would have had to sit there and wait for Dan to come and do it. I've had it explained and showed to me many times but I just don't retain that kind of information!

MaryAnn said...

Good for you! 20min is pretty good for trying to figureout how the tire releases from the trunk.

Amanda said...

Katie! Am so glad you are okay! When I saw the post said blow out I assume it had to do with a diaper! :-)