Wednesday, March 14, 2007

First Dental Cleaning, and Recommendations

Today I had the privelage of cleaning my nephew, Tanner's teeth. It was his first professional cleaning. He has been seen by the dentist before, but never cleaned. It was exciting to be the one to set the tone for his future dental visits. He was a wonderful patient, but as most kids do, he got kind of bored so there were a few times I had to stop and squirt water in his mouth to entertain him.

At one point I poked him... and he told me all about it! He was upset with me, and told me not to use the tool I was using. So briefly I switched to a different tool, and when he wasn't paying attention I switched back. AFTER I switched back he told me that he never wanted me to use that tool again, so I said "ok" and carried on. Ha ha ha, sometimes you do have to tell little lies. That is ok, his mom was sitting right there when it happened so I didn't feel so bad.

Tanner was a great patient, and I am so thankful he trusted me enough to be my patient. I recommend that exposing children to the dental office as early as possible is the best thing. As soon as they have teeth, if you can.
1.Take your kids to your appointments and let the dentist just look in their mouths without touching
2. Gradually move into having them sit in the chair and let the child touch everything, and become familiar with their surroundings.
3. Never tell a child bad stories about dentists. We are finally getting the stigma of "bad" dentists to go away now that the baby boomers are starting to retire...they are usually the ones with the fear. Things have changed significantly!!!
4. Be regular, make them see it is important!

Ok, that is just some advice I have... oh and one more... Parents, try not to be in the room with the child when they are having dental work done. If a child is a little nervous and sees you there, then they will take that opportunity to "get away". They will scream, cry, and fuss because they know you will "rescue" them. I once saw a little boy getting a filling done. He was a little uncomfortable (who isn't?) but as soon as his mother walked in the room he literally screamed bloody murder! And what do you think his mom did? That's right! She "saved" him, and we couldn't finish working. Make things simple... trust your dentist, stay out of the room while the work is being done. Just reassure the child that you are in the next room and you won't leave until they are done.

Ok NOW I am done. Keep 'em clean!

1 comment:

Jamie and Family said...

ugh, all GREAT advice - of which I think I have followed NONE and TOMORROW is our big day (for both girls) at the dentist. I am having major anxiety and have put it off for way too long. But everything you said makes sense, so thanks!

Jamie