Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Scary Neighbors

We just haven't had the best luck with our neighbors. For a long time, we had neighbors who would get drunk and literally throw rocks at our house and at our dogs. Matt actually watched them do this. They yelled and cursed at us, and were just plain mean. They claimed that our dogs barked all day, so we got bark collars and made sure to bring them in the house at night when Disneyland has its fireworks show. It didn't seem to work, nothing really made them happy. So it got resolved only because they moved HOOOOORAAYYY! So we got some new neighbors. A nice latino family. Mom, Dad, and a couple of kids. We had some pleasant conversations with them, and we wave at each other when we go by. All has been well...until yesterday.

I was on my way out to go to Target. As I pulled out of the driveway my neighbor "Sam" (the dad) flagged me down as he sat on his bike on the sidewalk. I rolled down the window and he asked me to give him a ride to the store. This is how the ride went:

Sam: Thanks so much
Me: No problem (looks at Sam, realized that he did not fasten his seat belt. Sam is out of breath and is rubbing his face with his hands)
Sam: Oh man I am so overwhelmed with all my bills. I am 31 with 4 kids and 4 houses (he's a flipper)
Me: Oh wow, that is a lot to deal with. It must be hard
Sam: Sometimes I think I could die. Maybe I could shoot myself
Me: (***ALARM***) OH NO, YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT!
Sam: Yeah, maybe it would be easier
Me: Well, you have 4 kids. They need you.
Sam: The government can take care of them
Me: (oh crap oh crap oh crap!!) Yes, well, the government can't give your kids a hug!
Sam: Yeah you are right. Can you drive me home too?
Me: Oh, yeah, sure
--little discussion about how old Matt and I are...blah blah blah---
(Pull into store parking lot)
Sam: Can you buy my beer? I can give you money
Me: Um, actually I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Sam: Oh ok.
(Sam goes in to buy his beer...great, now I am on a beer run. I am feeling really uncomfortable at this point. But I couldn't leave him there... I am his neighbor and I WILL have to see him again. I take my cell phone and keep it in my lap, and move my purse out of his range. Also made a phone call to Matt to tell him the situation, I figured if I went missing I would need some way for me to be tracked! Sam comes back)
Sam: Sorry, sorry, sorry
Me: Oh don't worry about it, that's what neighbors are for.
Sam: Ok, I won't tell my wife, don't tell Matt either
Me: Oh Sam, it isn't a big deal, I don't mind at all
Sam: I don't want to disrespect Matt, I like him. Don't tell him ok?
Me: (lying) oh I won't, but really it isn't a big deal
Sam: I like Matt,
Me: (panicking) I like him too, he's my hero, I sure do love him a lot!
Sam: You are a beautiful woman
Me: (freaking out!!) Oh thanks (speeding up!!!)
Sam: You are a beautiful woman
Me: (pulling up to his house) Ok, here you go!!!
Sam: I wish I could kiss you.
Me: (HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!) OH, WELL YOU CAN'T!!! BYE!

Sam gets out of the car and I drive quickly away. How horrible is that!! Ok, obviously I didn't like people throwing rocks at my dogs, but at this point I might take that over a nasty neighbor hitting on me. Now I am totally uncomfortable about coming home and praying that I won't have to see him in his yard. I guess this makes me reconsider the neighbor relationship.

Quite frankly I don't know anything about him. I only know what he has told me, but frankly he is a complete stranger. I allowed a complete stranger in my car with me. I would NEVER pick up a hitchhiker. But basically I put myself in so much danger. So much for the neighbors from the 1950's, the person you would trust to keep an eye on your house while you are away. Now I live like a stupid Desperate Housewife! Blah...I feel so blessed that I am safe and all turned out ok. Just a warning to all you read... if your neighbor asks for a ride, say no.

11 comments:

Cristin said...

Oh my gosh, that is a really good story. I love how you said, "The government can't give your kids a hug!" Quick thinking, ha ha. At least he didn't physically try to kiss you, that would have been even worse. Ew, scary story though.

Erin said...

ack! scary. I always feel bad because we never know or talk to our neighbors...but maybe its not such a terrible thing after all :|

Erin said...

ack! scary. I always feel bad because we never know or talk to our neighbors...but maybe its not such a terrible thing after all :|

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Wow...that's scary Katie- Honestly i don't know how you handled it.. I would have punched him you know where.. hehe..
Doesn't it suck when something like this ruins it from now on.. Like not wanting to talk to your neighbors..I guess we are truly blessed.. We have fantastic neighbors. oh by the way don't worry I taped Hell's kitchen for you!!!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I meant to say handled it so well!!

trine k said...

Wow Katie, what a freaky story! I'm so glad you're ok and handled it so well- I am SO leery of strange men- most of them probably are fine and just think I'm real rude, but I would much rather be safe then sorry! Sometimes I feel bad for being rude, and then I realize, that's just the world we live in where we have to be careful! Good luck!

Candace said...

That is the scariest story Katie. But you handled it really well. You are my idol

Jamie and Family said...

I just read this and am freaking out!! I cannot believe that really happened!!!!!! Ugh, how scary and wierd!!! I would want to park in the garage and never do yard work now!!!!! Glad you're okay!

Jamie

Tracy said...

Holy Toledo - I feel so bad for you! Katie - I'm so sorry!

Shannon Nielsen said...

What an experience - best bet from here on out is to avoid eye contact and be aware! My grandparents are right down the street if you ever need anything - seriously and they love you guys, my grandma is constantly telling me she says hello to you! Give her hugs for me when you can I miss her so!!!

Karli said...

holy crap katie!!!! that is like pretty much all i have to say.. that is just nuts! i would be so freaked out if that happened to me and i probably at that point would have nocked him outta the car and drove like my life depended on it (i kinda drive that way anyway..hehe)! wow, i am glad you are alright and i would just be more cautious around Mr. freaky next time!