Sunday, August 26, 2007

Big Brave Boy!

My little nephew had what is called a supernumerary tooth. Although it is an anomaly, it is not uncommon. Unfortunately, it pushed out one of his baby teeth too early and started coming through (see April 27th post). My sister wanted his extra tooth to come out before he started kindergarten this fall. Luckily I have been working for an oral surgeon so I had perfect access to a professional that would give my nephew the best care at such a young age.
I must admit, Tanner was much braver than his mom and I. We were both so nervous about the whole situation. What if it didn't go well, could he be traumatized for life? This moment could make or break his entire life's dental experiences (talk about pressure!).
We brought Tanner in first thing in the morning, gave him some nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and worked slowly to get him completely numb. Then the doctor says, "ok Tanner I am going to touch your tooth," and within seconds the little tooth was out. I am soooo proud of him, he did so well. I just wanted to share this experience with you all. Just for the record, the tooth fairy did come to visit.

Tanner's little body nearly disappeared in that chair!

Look at him grin! He is so brave!

Tanner sporting his nitrous oxide and topical anesthetic. The doctor allowed Tanner to be his own boss, so when he wanted off, he took it off, when he wanted it on, he put it on. Tanner even got a little giggly!

All done!!! What a wonderful patient. Please notice that Tanner brought his friend "Mega-man bunny." Sometimes it is nice to have a soft friend to go to.

No comments: