Saturday, September 1, 2007

Back to school!

I must admit, I have been a lazy blogger lately. I suppose it is because there is nothing too exciting going on in our lives right now. Two weeks ago I went back to school. This is my senior year in the dental hygiene program at Cypress College. This semester I am studying: Community Oral Health, Pharmacology, Anesthesiology, Special Needs, and of course Clinic. I have been the most excited about learning about anesthesia, I have thought about it all summer long! I am sure I will do an entire blog entry on that!

As far as clinic goes, we are going to be seeing 25 patients this semester. We have 3 days that we see patients at our on campus clinic, then we have two other locations that we are rotating to. The first one is called Share Our Selves (SOS). It is a charity facility that provides dental care, medical care, clothing, and food for those who qualify. All the "staff" are volunteers who don't get paid. So we as students will go and donate our time, and in return we are lucky enough to gain the experience of working on people who may never had their teeth cleaned or worked on ever in their lives! I know that may sound disturbing but as I have to learn by working on variety of people, I don't know any other place that I may encounter such a cluster of patients in that condition...not to mention they receive a service for absolutely free. I think that when I do graduate I would like to donate some time at this facility on a regular basis.

The other clinic which we will be going to is the Rancho Los Amigos Hospital. It is the largest facility for spinal injuries. Back in the day it was a polio clinic. The patients we will be seeing will be in some way disabled, in some cases they will be lying in a hospital gurney while they get their dental work done. Again, I feel privileged to have such a fantastic facility to work in to experience something I may never have the chance to see again.

In addition to all the patients and the projects for the semester, I will also be preparing to take the National Board exam (written). So this is obviously a very big and important year!! I look forward to having the next 9 months fly by to my graduation (May 2008).

My journey through school has been long and drawn out. I will be 26 years old when I finally graduate, but I am so pleased that I have finally made it! I wouldn't have gotten this far if it weren't for my terrific husband. He has supported me and my education 100% all these years, including now that I am in a full time program and I am unable to work to bring in a paycheck. He has also sacrificed his own comfort to be one of my very first patients ever! I really do have the best support system. Thank you Matt, I love you dearly!

3 comments:

Cristin said...

So what if you'll be 26 when you graduate. You would have been 26 anyway! At least now you'll have this! Good luck on your last year.

MaryAnn said...

You go Katie! It's awesome that you are going to get your degree in something you love doing. I couldn't do what you do. Good luck this year!

Shannon Nielsen said...

Your passion for your profession comes through in your posts. Both you and Matt are so passionate about doing what you love and about each other! Every time I read your sweet posts I get motivated to be better myself! Congrats and good luck for the rest of the program!