Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Yoko

Do you remember being in third grade and you were assigned a pen-pal? I distinctly remember having a pen-pal, and only corresponding a total of 2 times each. Probably not as "successful" as it should have been, oh well.

Keeping that in mind, allow me to switch gears for a moment. Back in high school I had a few classes with a girl from Japan. She wasn't technically a foreign exchange student, she was living in California to go to school, and she moved back to Japan when after she graduated. Yoko was an EXTREMELY quiet person. I sat next to her in at least 2 classes and every now and then I would talk to her briefly. Nothing too in depth, at first. Gradually we got to know each other and we decided to stay in contact after high school....Tah-dah, a pen-pal!

It has been 7 years since we graduated and we are still in contact. I just received another email from Yoko today and I got so excited to hear about her life. I sincerely hope that we stay friends for a long time.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Katie,

I say this in total sincerity: Good for you! I am SO awful at writing (which is why I probably email and blog instead!) I went to Germany after my Freshman year and loved my host-sister - she was so awesome! I wish I had done a better job at staying in touch! I hope you two continue to keep in contact, and you never know, you just may see her here or you may go there! :) BTW: THANK YOU SO MUCH for all your help with the Roadshow! It's fun - but a LOT of work! It's great having people get into it as much as ME!

Cristin said...

In high school I had a good friend who WAS an exchange student from Japan also named Yoko. We stayed in touch a little after she went back, but after a few years, lost contact. So sad... I'm a really bad correspondent.

Erin said...

I would love having a pen pal. Getting mail that isn't a bill or a credit card offer? AWESOME. I don't even remember the last time I wrote a letter. I was racking my brain and I actually think I know who Yoko is (though I doubt she would know me) I might have to cross reference with a high school year book to verify :P