Friday, September 14, 2007

My loved ones

At school today we discussed the care of geriatric patients. All the way from their aging process to elderly abuse. It was quite the emotional experience. But it really got me thinking about my grandparents. I very much wanted to share with anyone who cares to read, about who my grandparents are.

My dad's parents were separated when he was a young boy. The only pictures we have of them together are from when they were a young couple. For this last Christmas my dad gave each of us this fantastic picture. It was taken in one of those 1-minute photo booths. I believe my grandmother was around 17 years old, my grandfather not much older than that.

Unfortunately we didn't get to see my grandfather very often, because he didn't live near us. But our visits with him were pleasant, and as I grew older I was beginning to really appreciate him. Sadly, he passed away shortly after his 2nd wife died. I miss the fact that I didn't really get to know him as an adult. I only knew him from a child's perspective from our bi-annual visits. I do know that he was a quiet man, with an interest in engineering of all kinds. He seemed to know how things worked. He also had a beautiful train set that went around his Christmas tree (with the steam and whistle)!

On the other hand, my grandmother, Carol, was someone I knew VERY well. My family lived in her home on two different occasions. This woman truly became my mentor. She was a talented woman. At the age of 16, she was the youngest singer in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. She had a beautiful singing voice. She was also an independent caterer and cake decorator. She was able to teach me her skills in cake decorating (well, enough so that I was able to make mine and my sisters' wedding cakes). Again, sadly she too passed away after complications from her diabetes and what turned out to be mini-strokes. She died the year I got married, I wish I had her there. My favorite thing about her, was her hands. They were so small and gentle. I used to love sitting next to her and hold her hands. Her laugh was adorable! She always appeared to be a bystander, but if you paid close attention, you could see Grandma right in the middle of things. She could be mischievous if she wanted to be. She was quiet, but silly, and as her headstone reads "she gave us her all."

My mother's parents were also beautiful people.
My grandfather was a fascinating man. I refer to him as my hero. He was honorable, smart, a man of integrity, but boy did he know how to have fun...most of all he was a proud family man. It seemed to me that of all his life's accomplishments (which were many), he was most proud of his children and grandchildren. He loved his wife dearly. They were the typical old couple (she yelled at him to do something, and without knowing it he would respond...then completely ignore her....LOL) But you could see the love for her in his eyes. I will always remember how he fertilized his lawn to spell out in 4-5' letters "I love Lois" (with the "s" backwards). He too passed away from a sudden stroke about 2 weeks prior to my wedding. As with my other grandfather, I wish I had more time with him as an adult. There are so many things I could have learned from him.

Last, but CERTAINLY NOT least, is my grandmother, Lois. My grandmother (my only living grandparent) is a wonderful woman. She has always been a strong woman. She takes pride in her home and in her activities. Following a heart attack many years ago she started walking for exercise...I am telling you right now, she could walk anyone I know under the table! She has a fun attitude and such a caring spirit. She finds joy in her grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren. I have been fortunate enough to sit down with her to record video of her telling me stories of her life. Like the story of how she and my grandfather met (it was a blind date...honest! They got married 3 months later!)
I am grateful for my grandparents, yet I miss them so much. I find myself attached to grandparent-types. I love them for what they can teach me. I love them for their experience. I love them for their quiet demeanors (in spite of all that they have inside). But most of all, I love them for the love they give.

After witnessing a video documentary of elderly abuse it made me realize how precious my grandparents were to me (not that I needed to see abuse to realize it...but it reminded me). I hope you all who have someone elderly in your lives that you absorb all that you can from them. Find out who they truly are.

5 comments:

Daytrippingmom Media said...

What a beautiful post. I've heard all about your grandparents and it was nice to see a picture of them. I know all of your grandparents would be really proud of you Katie!!!

Holly said...

Kaite,

What a lovely tribute to all of your grandparents. It actually reminded me SO much of my own: one of my grandfathers passed away when I was 9 or 10 and I would have loved to have gotten to know him better; my other grandfather (the last of the foursome to pass away)had an awesome train set up in his basement - I loved it; my maternal grandmother was the lead singer in a band in MN when she was in her early twenties; and my other grandmother loved to bake! I agree with your comment about the difference it makes in having the chance to know your grandparents as an adult. I often think about that and over the years have come to see each of them and the complex individuals they were (separate from their "roles" as my grandparents!) Again, what a beautiful post and always remember the opportunity you'll have to get to know them better in the eternities!

Katie said...

Thank you for the perspective Holly! You are so right, I sometimes get discouraged about our "timing" here, while forgetting that we will have an eternity together.

Ashley said...

Thanks for that blog.

Candace said...

That was neat Katie.