Thursday, September 27, 2007

My rant

May I vent? I don't have children. But I am not a dummy when it comes to kids. I have younger siblings, cousins, nephews & a niece, and I used to baby-sit a lot. I realize "nothing compares to raising your own" blah blah blah...I get it. But come on...there MUST be SOME common sense in this world! I am talking about putting a child's life in danger. One of my biggest pet-peeves is when I see a parent or parents walking down the street and their young child (today I saw one who could have only been 2 years old) is walking on their own far behind the parent. The parents never look back to check on them. HELLO!! Earth to mentally-challenged "parent!" Ever think a kid might possibly step off the curb and get hit by a car? Ever think a child could get grabbed from behind (we don't live in a perfect crime-less world you know)? Ever think the child might lose sight of you by becoming distracted and then wander off?

My question is why. Why on earth would any parent allow their babies to be in such danger??? Now, before I get attacked by any parent who might be offended allow me to clarify a little further. I am not talking about a 15-year old who is fully capable of walking on their own. I am talking about children who have just learned to walk in the last year! I am talking about children who can't put a full sentence together (let alone ask for directions when they get lost).

I realize that a parent can't be everywhere at once. I realize a parent isn't always able to stop their child's bad behavior. I realize a parent does not actually have eyes in the back of their head. I understand all of that... yet I can't wrap my mind around this one. I would go nuts if I was walking down a busy street and I couldn't see my kids. I don't think I would have such a problem if the child was walking AHEAD of the parents (at least then they can keep an eye on them). So if anyone has an answer for me, please let me know! And I promise to eat my words if I EVER decide to completely ignore the fact that I have a child while I am walking down a busy street.

8 comments:

Erin said...

I once watched a women in a car hand her infant a plastic shopping bag (that was bigger than the baby) to play with... I also found an infant in a car in the parking lot before... luckily a nice man was next to the car already calling the police (it was a very hot day). I LOVE seeing great parents, but it really creeps me out when I see people I know I could be a better parent than, because I don't consider myself ready for parenting yet.

Cristin said...

Yeah, there are also the parents that accidentally leave their baby in the baby carrier on top of the car... or there was a story on the news of a mother who forgot her baby was in the car all day while she was at work and the baby died. Very sad.

Carlotta said...

Alyson is almost 7 and I still have her walk NEXT to me!!! I know accidents happen but I too agree that there are some things that are JUST common sense.

Beth said...

Katie! I miss you and your clever comments and opinions! That's what I always liked about you. I'm so happy I found your blog! (Beth Makaafi)

Candace said...

Yeah, I feel the same way Katie. I don't know what parents are thinking half the time..
I know that I am not going to make any mistakes with Lizette....

Holly said...

I'm with you on this! I don't get it either, perhaps they're thinking it fosters independence...(not!) I know I probably hovered with Jackson more than I do with my other two, but you know what - I let myself! :)

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Katie, I feel so strongly about this.. I'm a big freak about even walking with a stroller on a busy street. I guess there are just some people outthere that lack common sense. I don't care what anyone says I think it's better to be way overprotective and than being clueless. just my two cents..

Ashley said...

When I worked in Sherman Oaks Galleria I saw this all the time. The parent would be walking very fast and the child would be far behind them, almost in a run to keep up. I would watch to see if the parent would turn around. The one time a parent did turn around was to yell at their child to keep up. It was really sad.