Saturday, October 6, 2007

I ham hungry!

Do you ever get to the point where the only thing left to eat in the kitchen lies within the depths of your pantry? The other day I knew I was going to be alone for the entire day and so as I contemplated what I would eat I started rummaging around in the pantry. I actually have a pretty good idea of what we have in there. Most of it I don't think I will ever use, but I think it is quite a waste to just throw it away. Well, I thought I would try something different. I have had this soup mix-in-a-bag probably going on 5 years or so. I always thought it might be good to try, but never had the courage to do so. Well, since I only had to feed myself, I figured that it would be a good time for the adventure!

I briefly read the directions and figured it would take about 4 hours to prepare (2 hours to soak the beans, and 2 hours to simmer) No problem, I was going to be home all day. So I began the process.

After I finished soaking the beans I went back to my instructions, and that is when I figured out why I hadn't used this soup mix in all these years. It wasn't just a soup mix...oh no... it was a "Honeybaked ham store" soup mix. Which meant, I needed a Honeybaked brand ham bone. What? A HAM bone? (Never mind the fact that it says "Ham bone" on the front label) Oh man, ok so off I went to the store. The butcher at Vons didn't carry plain ol' ham bones. Ok, so off I went to try my luck at Trader Joes. Nope, no ham bones. Now, in all my life I have never been to a Honeybaked ham store and I always thought the concept was rather ridiculous. Why is there a store completely dedicated to ham? Well, it just so happens that down the street from Trader Joes is a Honeybaked ham store. Lucky me.

Long story short, they were having a sale on soup mixes!!! Could you believe it! At first I said "no" that was the last thing I wanted! But then she explained I could get 2 mixes for $10 and get a free ham bone (which on it's own costs over $11) Ok, so I can pay LESS and get 3 things and get suckered into coming back for more ham bones or I could pay more for one thing and have this soup mix issue over with forever. Well, like any American who wants to save a buck, I did the "logical" thing!

Here lies the 2 new soup mixes that will lay in my cupboard for another 5 years!

Ok, so I got my stinkin' ham bone and I made my chili. Now after all of that I could not wait to try my little creation!
Verdict: It was way to salty...and I couldn't finish it. Ugh, so let us all learn a valuable lesson here. Sometimes those certain food items in the back of the cupboard need to stay there. I am pretty sure a kind visiting teacher gave me said food item. I think I have decided to never impose such a burden on a person. From now on, homemade cookies and holiday hand-towels are the gifts I will bestow upon my loved ones.

9 comments:

Tracy said...

That was SO fun to read! I have a soup mix thingamajig in my cupboard too!!! You have inspired me. I shall make it - in a few days - or so. :)

Cristin said...

Sorry it was lousy. I've tried a lot of soup mixes (from Lassens) and they are pretty good. I can't believe you had such a hard time finding a ham bone! I've gone to regular grocery stores and found them, sometimes I guess you do have to ask the butcher, they usually come in packs of 2 and I freeze one for later. Yes, ham bones are gross though, but they usually make good soup.

Erin said...

aww I love the honey baked ham store! Though I only go there twice a year with my family and only because my dad receives coupons for 2 free honey baked hams each year from work :P

actually I like their honey baked turkey better...

hmmm no soup mixes in my cupboard ... I feeling like I'm missing out :P

Jamie and Family said...

What a funny adventure!!!

You are a brave soul to have even attempted it!

And, I don't really like ham much, but that fire-melted-sugar on the honeybaked hams is the best.

Ashley said...

I liked how to took pictures of your adventure. I wish there was a picture at the store of your face when you where making that decision one ham bone or ham bone and 2 soup mixes.

Holly said...

Katie, seriously, that was the FUNNIEST thing I have read in a LOOOONNNNNGGGG time! I started giggling, which lead to Elliott asking "What's so funny?", which lead to my starting over, from the beginning of your tale, and reading the whole thing ALOUD to him (CRYING practically the whole time because I was laughing so much!) You have NO IDEA the power of a good "bean story" in our home. Thank you for passing that great story along. (And I agree - some things in the pantry should just stay in the pantry!)

Chris Grover said...

I have to say, though, that soup LOOKS really good! Sometimes things that you think should be really simple become way too complicated! Hopefully everything else you got tastes YUMMY!

Candace said...

I am sorry that it didn't taste good. Maybe the other soups will be good.

Pat and Anndalyn said...

I would have done the same thing. Loved your post and pictures!