Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Halloween Party

Ok so my "official" Halloween has come and gone. Last Saturday the church held their annual Halloween party and these are the nights that Matt and I love to go all out for. This year (like all the other years) we went shopping the day of the event for our Halloween costumes. Matt had the clever idea to go as a modern Caveman, as in the Geico commercials and their new sitcom.
Because we usually try to go as a couple (as in matching costumes...obviously we go as a couple) I figured I could go as a modern cavewoman. I wasn't too sure about the idea, but hey I played along. So here are a couple of pictures of Matt getting ready. He took the most work...mine was fairly simple.


And here is the final product!


Now... as for me. All I needed to do was to tease my hair, and have Matt accentuate my eyebrows and add some sideburns, I figured cavewomen weren't terribly hairy, but they had to be somewhat. So, really there wasn't too much for me to have done. That is when I realized that my major accessory was Matt himself, because frankly without him standing next to me, I just looked like a hairy woman.

I must admit that this year was still fun, we had a lot of good reactions and we won the prize for best couple costume again. But I suppose it would have been fun for me to get a little more dressed up. Matt sure did look great though!

Of course we also decorated a room for the trick-or-treaters. We went with a Haunted Mansion theme. I couldn't get a decent picture of the room with the lights off, but just imagine that it is dark, with a black light, strobe light, and there is fog coming out of the skull's eye-sockets. In addition we had the soundtrack to the Disney's Haunted mansion playing. It was pretty awesome. There were a few kids that were too scared to come in the room, so I took the candy to them. Oh, and I almost forgot the best part...a simple trick, but HIGHLY effective and HILARIOUS...hang dark sewing thread from the door. The guests can't see it when they walk in and it freaks them out when they run into it. Matt and I got a kick out of watching their reactions...usually the adults were the ones who reacted the most. What a great night. Happy Halloween!


P.S. The only casualty of the Halloween costume this year was removing the spirit gum from our faces that night. I was blindly washing my eyebrows and I grabbed what I thought was a clump of glue and ripped it off. Well, turns out it was a clump of my eyebrows glued together...thus I have a bald spot now.

7 comments:

Candace said...

I love it Katie! Matt looked really awesome and you looked great as a hairy woman..j/k Thanks for the tip about the dark sewing thread. I think I am going to try it on someone..

Cristin said...

Those are great costumes! I am also really jealous that you were able to do something so creepy at the church for the trick or treaters. I'm doing a game that involves a "friendly" ghost for our ward Halloween party tonight and that was questionable because according to the organizers - "NOTHING CREEPY." Too bad.

trine k said...

Nice work! You both look great and the room looks awesome, even with the lights on...now I know who to go to for expert Halloween tips.
P.S. Where do you two find all your costume needs (especially in pics you showed from the past) the day of?

Katie said...

Trine, all of our costumes are from thrift stores mostly. Then, we trudge into the discount Halloween stores to find the accessories (i.e. hair spray, extra hair, etc). Then usually we just use my own personal makeup for the rest!

Ashley said...

That's funny. Drew and I were going to be a caveman family, but we didn't have anywhere to dress up to this year, so only Chloe dressed up.

Karli said...

hahha i love that personal accidental wax job you did!!! too funny! love it, karli

Jamie and Family said...

I am behing in my commenting, but way to go! you guys are so fun to do this.

I have such vivid memories of making haunted houses with Matt and Michael at Grandma's house. They were the experts :-)