Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Gallon Challenge

I think I could probably take on the "Gallon Challenge" right about now. For anyone who doesn't know what the Gallon Challenge is, in short: drink 1 gallon of milk in 1 hour without vomiting for 1 hour. Basically, it is nearly impossible, and quite frankly I don't feel like vomiting...however,

I have been drinking milk almost nonstop during my pregnancy. At first I increased my milk consumption because of my heartburn. Milk is not a remedy for heartburn, but my heartburn is in the back of my throat and the milk feels sooooo good as I drink it.

Now, I crave milk. I used to be able to keep 1 gallon of milk until its expiration date. Currently my average is about 1 gallon every day-and-a-half to two days. (So not quite the Gallon Challenge).

So many people say that when you crave milk it means that your body is deficient in calcium. Well, I am certainly not deficient, but I have read that in the latter end of pregnancy the body stores the most calcium to prepare for breastfeeding.

I'm thirsty now...

3 comments:

Jamie and Family said...

That is a LOT of milk!! But I relate and used milk/ice cream type stuff for the same exact reasons when I was prego.

Cristin said...

Not only calcium, but pregnant women are supposed to eat a lot of protein each day (I'm sure you know this). Milk contains protein, your body is craving what you need.

I never really liked milk until I started having kids. I now drink it like crazy also.

Amanda said...

I understand completely! I drank so much milk when I was prego!! Which was a good thing bc Elliott was allergic to milk when I was breast feeding! Which meant no milk products for me. (ricedreams isn't quite the same but better in my opinion than soy milk) Anyway long story but good news is Elliott is no longer allergic to dairy and could drink whole milk at one year!!!
good luck with the house dbugging.