Thursday, July 26, 2007

IMPORTANT!

I have hesitated to write this post, but I think this so important to tell people.
A friend of mine called me and we as we were catching up she told me about a very scary experience. Her youngest son is in the nursery at church and one Sunday she brought goodies for the kids, even though she doesn't work in the nursery. During a simple game ("What's that?", "A bird!") her son started choking. His eyes rolled back and he collapsed. The nursery worker did not know what to do. She didn't know how to do the Heimlich Maneuver, and she didn't want to try in fear of breaking his ribs. So she just grabbed him and let the weight of his body slump over and he (luckily) threw up.

I don't have children, but I was so frightened about the idea that the people who watch children may not have any first aid training. I realize that this isn't the fault of the church, remember that he choked on the snack that his mom brought. But I just got to thinking that perhaps, any of you who may read this, you might want to look into that at your own wards. I am thinking, maybe we should approach our Bishops or Stake Presidents, or whatever leader to post a chart in the nursery about first aid. I don't think it would be necessary or possible to only call first aid certified people into such callings (think worldwide, those people may not be available). But if you have a child in nursery you may want to check with the leader to see if they know basic first aid.

I am certified in CPR and first aid for my profession and so I thought I would give a basic crash course in the Heimlich Maneuver.

This is the universal sign for choking; however, the person who is choking may not be doing this.

Ask the person "ARE YOU CHOKING?" Now I suppose for a child it will be pretty obvious. The person should answer you. Keep in mind, just because they are choking it doesn't mean that they can't make any noise, so just because you hear a sound doesn't mean they AREN'T choking. (Hense the question "Are you choking")
Technically, according to my calm and safe classroom setting it is appropriate to say your name and ask if you can help. Example: "My name is Katie, I know first aid, can I help you?"
***FYI:
Consent

The responder must not commit assault by giving aid to a patient without consent of the patient (or of the patient's legal parent or guardian if the patient is under 18 years old).

Implied consent

Consent may be implied if the patient is unconscious, delusional, intoxicated, deemed mentally unfit to make decisions regarding their safety, or if the responder had a reasonable belief that this was as such; courts tend to be very forgiving in adjudicating this, under the legal fiction that "peril invites rescue."

Consent may also be implied if the legal parent or guardian is not immediately reachable and the patient is not considered an adult.

Parental consent

If the victim is not an adult (warning: definitions vary), consent must come from the legal parent or guardian. However, if the legal parent or guardian is absent, unconscious, delusional or intoxicated, consent is implied (with the same caveat as above). Special circumstances may exist if child abuse is suspected.

Laws for first aiders only

In most jurisdictions, Good Samaritan laws only protect those that have had basic first aid training and are certified by the American Heart Association, American Red Cross, St. John Ambulance, American Safety and Health Institute or other health organization. In other jurisdictions, any rescuer is protected from liability, granted the responder acted rationally.

(Which means that you need to take a first aid course!)

In order clear the airway abdominal thrusts are necessary. Reach your arms around the victim.

1. Make a fist with one hand and place the thumb side against the middle of the victim's abdomen, just above the navel and well below the lower tip of the breastbone.
2. Grab your fist with your other hand
3. Give quick, upward thrusts into the abdomen. Each thrust is separate and distinct attempt to dislodge the obstruction.
4. Repeat these thrusts until the object is dislodged or the victim becomes unconscious. (I think my teaching ends here, simply for the fact that I am not allowed to teach First Aid)

If a rib breaks... allow me to quote my friend, "Broken ribs are better than a dead son." I hope that this post does more good than nothing at all. Just know who is watching your children.

7 comments:

Shannon Nielsen said...

Katie this is something that I haven't thought of and appreciate your insight on. Up til now my main worry is dropping Kenzie off without her throwing a fit or worrying about contagious kids! I think posting a chart is a great idea. Having a certified CPR'ist do a short demo would be smart too. Both Kenzie and Lexi will be in nursery soon and I'm going to pass on your great idea for sure.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Katie, I think this an excellent post. I can't tell you how scary this experience was. I actually stopped by the nursery about 5 minutes after it happened. It was terrifying- Our friend was shaking at the thought of what could have been.. I can't even imagine. I totally agree that there needs to be some sort of cpr poster or some kind of emergency system in place. Excellent post!!
This needs to be brought up to our leaders.

Cristin said...

Thanks for posting this. I actually practiced (as much as I could) on myself as I was reading it.

Jamie and Family said...

I am in the primary pres and I have never adressed this with our nursery staff. So thanks for the important reminder and info!! So glad the story had a positive ending. :-) Jamie

Karli said...

oh my goodness that is so scary! i am happy that everyone is alright. i know that at my church if you are working in children's ministry you have to have cpr first aid training and they run a background check on you to be safe. they want all the parents to know that their kids are in good hands!

thanks for the posts on my new blog, yay i have friends!!

Candace said...

Thanks Katie. A couple of weeks after I found out I was prego, I thought I need to get CPR certified, but I never found the time. Thanks for reminding me that I need to know this stuff.

Chris Grover said...

Wow, I just don't think that would have ever crossed my mind, so thank you, thank you. It's really scary, but so much better to be prepared. Thank goodness things were ok with this little child.