Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My love for books...literally

Isn't is funny how we internalize certain behaviors that we learned in our childhood. I am not talking about being a silly person, a kind person, or an angry person, I am talking about quirky behaviors that don't make sense to anyone else. I remember when I was young I used to LOVE to read, and still do. One night, I had a book that I was reading, then my father called the family in for a family prayer. So I brought my book in and to just keep it with me I knelt down on my book.
My father didn't approve of me doing that, I got in BIG trouble for treating a book that way. So now, I have this weird obsession of treating books very carefully. I do not like to highlight my textbooks, I don't like to write in my books, and I don't like to buy books that LOOK used. I do my best to keep everything looking as new as possible. When I buy a new book, I don't even like to crack the binding to open it all the way. I open the book slightly and allow it to naturally and gradually find its crease.
I was in class one day and I didn't have my notes with me and so in order for me to keep up, I had to highlight my book as my instructor lectured. I felt so bad about what I had done :( But sometimes it must be done, I try to avoid it if I can.
Well, I just bought my books for next semester. I made all my purchases on Amazon.com and purposely looked for inexpensive books that were advertised as having no markings whatsoever. Well, I am sure you can see where this is going...I received a book today in the mail and it looked great.

But upon flipping through it briefly, I noticed at least 2 small highlighted areas. I was soooo upset! Not only did the seller misrepresent their product, but my nice book has highlighting in it. I don't think I will try returning the book, but now when I get to those pages it will be like looking at a deep bloody gash that gives you the heebie-jeebies! I wonder if there is a medical condition that describes this strange behavior of mine.

2 comments:

Jamie and Family said...

that is so funny and true. I still have this tiny wierd feeling when I paint my girls' nails because my mom was not okay with that when I was litle (like 7). Now she couldn't care any less, but it still is there in my mind!!!

jamie

Tracy said...

That was so fun to read Katie! Totally funny.