Friday, January 11, 2008

Goodbye Gemina Giraffe

Today I received the sad news that Gemina the giraffe at the Santa Barbara zoo died at the age of 21. She was born at the San Diego Wild Animal park in 1986 and was brought to the Santa Barbara zoo when she was about a year old. What makes Gemina special is the near 90-degree kink in her neck.

The kink in her neck never seemed to impede her life. X-rays never showed what caused her neck to grow this way, but it never seemed to matter. It only made her a famous giraffe...at least to nearly everyone in Ventura County and Santa Barbara. She shall be missed as a "landmark" of the Santa Barbara zoo.

4 comments:

Cristin said...

That is sad news! It'll be hard to visit the giraffes without her.

Jamie and Family said...

I'm way behind...but I've never seen her. That is quite the amazing neck!! Sad she's gone.

Chris Grover said...

Oh my gosh -- she died?! We were just at the Santa Barbara Zoo a few months back and I was so fascinated by her! That's so sad!

Candace said...

I remember going to the SB zoo with your family, I think your grandma... I am so sad that she died.