Sunday, January 27, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley 1910-2008


So my mother who lives in Utah just called me to tell me that Gordon B. Hinckely, the modern-day prophet and president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints died an hour ago. He is the eldest prophet in the history of the latter-day church and died at the age of 97. His wife Marjorie passed away a few years ago.
Gordon B. Hinckely was a man of intellect and humility. He had traveled the world many times and has met with leaders from around the world. He has led the church in progression. In his time as the president of the church we doubled the number of temples around the world. He has always counseled the members of the church to find ways to better ourselves, to serve others, to come closer to Christ, and he always has uplifting words which are inspired. He is a silly man. He spoke slowly and eloquently, then he would find a way to crack a joke which would sometimes catch you off guard. He will be missed greatly, but I am happy to have followed his counsel over the past decade or so and that he is now with his loving and adored wife.

By the way...I will have other things to post about soon, not just obituaries!

3 comments:

Greg said...

I just heard... It's very sad

He was a wonderful man

Tracy said...

I had a feeling you would make a wonderful post about our dear prophet - and you did! He will be missed so much, but I feel such peace right now. Thank you Katie!

Candace said...

I am very saddened by the news. I am going to miss President Hinckley, especially during the conference times.