Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Living in the 'burbs


Have you seen the movie "The Burbs" with Tom Hanks? Basically this man is trying to relax at home, meanwhile his next door neighbor's home has some strange goings-on. I was more than reminded of this movie lately as my next-door neighbors home has begun to have its own strange activities:

Neighbor-watch 2007
Current evidence:
1. Please remember my scary encounter with my crazy neighbor who decided he would like to "come on to me" for lack of a better phrase.
2. After a few weeks of avoiding my neighbor at all costs there was a significant absence of my neighbor. The entire family just seemed to completely disappear.
3. No cars, ever...none coming, none going. (also, no moving vans...at least not in the day time)
4. The school bus stopped coming (when school was still in session of course).
5. Trash cans left out on the curb were pulled up to the front of the house and left on their sides.
6. The side gate was left open.
7. A tag on the meter in the back of the house marking a discontinuation of service.

Photographs:











OK, so I poked my head over the back fence too to get some pictures, but can you see how strange this is? It is like they just disappeared, and some how we didn't notice. Well, I was keeping a very watchful eye on the house, and then I saw this:



So it appears, that sometime during the night my neighbor creeped back to his house and put up this really sad looking for sale sign. Obviously with a little desperation... you think?
Well, this was something I just had to post about, because I needed to expose my crazy neighbor...oh, and if any one is looking to buy a house...:)

5 comments:

Cristin said...

That's great. His for sale sign is very similar to the pathetic one our neighbor put up. At least your guy has Citibank behind him (or is that who's forclosing on him? ha ha). Our neighbors' sign is also handwritten on posterboard and says all this stuff about creative financing and how he will sell to people who are bankrupt and have bad credit.

I love that you took pictures too. That is funny, can you imagine what he would think if he ever stumbled upon your blog and saw these pictures?? HILARIOUS.

Ashley said...

Yeah, I was thinking it must be a foreclosure. Hopefully you will get a neighbor that doesn't hit on you.

I had a neighbor who always whistled. I was not just hear or there and soft smooth tone. It was like a woodpecker whistle. It was always constant and loud and he would do it late into the night watering the plants. Just imagine a young brother or sister trying to annoy you just by whistling. I honestly think he had whistling turrets. Anyway finally one day I realized I haven’t heard the whistling in a while. The wife was still there but no husband. I was hoping they split up, that’s how bad it was. But he came back and started whistling again. I think he goes away for work several days at a time. It was always nice when he was gone.

MaryAnn said...

I love these posts and comments. It gives me a good laugh :0)

Holly said...

Weird...just weird...but hey, at least their moving OUT! Sorry the market isn't what it was a year or so ago so that the house would really move quickly!

Pat and Anndalyn said...

We had crazy neighbors too. They moved in at 3am (mind you these are shared wall town homes) talking outside as if it was the middle of the day. Their garage was always open with a bulletin board next to the door with a sign saying "come in, it's open". According to the mother of the gal renting, she was there alone. I only know that because she came to my door looking for her and I said "yeah, I think they all live next door". She informed me that she lived alone...hmmm. There were always people double parking (so we couldn't get into our garage) "picking up" or "dropping off" something. Guys would hand out and smoke around the front door but I never saw the same guy once. Smells of vomit (a puddle) and the smell of drugs filled the air sometimes at 5am or earlier. I don't know what they were doing but I'm glad we moved.

Anyhoo, about the balloons. Camden just loves balls and balloons so much that we thought it would be a waist of money to buy him real gifts. So that's what he got from his parents...well, and a few new books. Yeah, it's just like the empty box trick.