Wednesday, March 19, 2008

American Idol

Since I opened my big mouth a few weeks ago just being all kinds of silly about American Idol's David Arculeta I have had a few people asking me what I think about the latest episodes and what I think about this person, or that person. Well, I am a big fan of the show...but, Tuesday nights I have to go to the young women activities at church since I am one of the young women leaders. So, I have been recording American Idol. Thanks to the time change I missed a huge portion of last week, and this week I accidentally set up to record on the wrong channel, so I missed about half of the show! (Maybe this is supposed to be a sign to me that I shouldn't be watching so much tv). But, luckily I have seen enough to talk about each of the contestants to some degree.


































































I love Brooke White. I think she is pure, beautiful, and her singing voice is gorgeous without being typical. I wish I had her hair!! I was a huge fan of her version of "Let it Be" and "You're So Vain." I hope that she will go very far. Perhaps I am a little biased towards Brooke because of her good girl lifestyle.
In contrast...I can't stand Amanda Overmyer! I don't like her voice one little bit. There are times where I think she is singing through clenched teeth and then when she really gets into it she doubles over and just uses the chewbaca voice. Every time she sings I think "oh yeah, Simon is really going to rip into her for that one!" But then, he praises her for her performance. Am I living in another dimension? Am I the only one that can't stand her? This feels like a throw back to Nicky McKibbon. Someone I can't stand, yet for some reason she stays on the show.
Ramiele Malubay won't last. She is cute and has an ok voice, but please...if you put her up against all the other contestants she just fades. So I don't have much to say about her. Its like I have forgotten that she is even in the competition.
Kristy Lee Cook is kind of the same in my opinion. The tiny recap of her song last night sounded way better than her horrific version of "8 Days a Week." What on earth was that by the way? Did someone actually say "Yes, this is a good idea and it sounds great! Let's do this on tv!" Groan...
Michael Johns is pretty good. I just don't think he is going to go all the way. I think that once all the girls get over his good looks and his Aussie accent they might get board with him. Its not that I think he is a bad singer, I don't, but I think that there are others that do so much better than him.
Jason Castro is slowly becoming a favorite. My friend Jennifer has pointed out some great performances on her blog page and I have to agree that his imperfections make him so charming. His facial expressions are kind of silly...he almost looks like a cartoon character! What I really like about him is that he keeps the songs simple. He doesn't ever go into these big belting notes, he just sings.
David Cook is also doing great. I missed last weeks performance which is apparently one of his best ones out there...however, I do enjoy his energy and his voice. I would much rather listen to him rocking out than Amanda!
Syesha Mercado is beautiful. I think she is a wonderful singer. I do enjoy listening to her. She has another very pure voice and she has the super star look!
Carly Smithson is wonderful! I must admit that something about her image is kind of interesting. I think it is weird that she got "7" tattooed on her finger to represent American Idol Season 7. She has a wonderful voice and I think that she will be going all the way to the end.
Now everyone knows what I think about David Archuleta, but I figured he was due for a poor performance, which happened last week. By the way...how can anyone in this world, especially those involved in music, not be familiar with the Beatles? And yes, Mike I did notice the video of David's dad wearing an undershirt on camera. Interesting. I think that he will do really well in the competition, but I am interested to see him do something different. I am quite impressed with his talent.
Chikeze...strange name, but I guess it is some ethnic name which everyone pronounces incorrectly. And I can't get past his short teeth, the guy needs to have some gum surgery to get rid of that gummy smile. Ok, his looks and name aside...he is just ok to me. (oh brother, I am sounding like Randy!!) Last night's episode he had a horrible country sounding version of a Beatles song. I was reminded of Kristy Lee's "8 Days a week" He is another contestant that I forget about, but again I missed last weeks performance which was apparently really good. So I am just judging him on seeing him only a couple of times.

I am not a singer, I like to sing but I am not blessed with the talent that any of these people have. I am quite impressed with most of them. I think that the final five will be: Brooke, Jason, David A., David C., and Carly. I hope that Amanda is kicked off soon, I can't stand much more of her! Who do you think the final five will be? I would love to hear some other opinions about American Idol!!

5 comments:

Chris Grover said...

wow, i pretty much agree with everything you said! brooke white is about the cutest thing on the planet. even last night when she didn't do as well, she was even cute accepting criticism! love her!

Michael said...

I would agree with your top five with the exception of Jason. I would take him out and put in Syesha. I love that girl. I actually don't like Jason at all. I kinda think that he sucks. He is terrible, horrific, and dangerous to my ears. Now that I mention it he is dangerous to my eyes too. He is one ugly Mofo. Sometimes I think that I can smell his stinky dreads through my T.V. I puke in his general direction. I get pneumonia thinking of him. It hurts when I swallow while I eat and watch A.I. at the same time and he comes on. I was walking behind him once and slipped on the grease that was dripping from his scalp. Ok not really, but I heard that happened to Brooke White. He is gross.

Jennifer said...

Katie you should come watch the show at my house, i tivo it! i love brooke and jason. brooke's performance last night was so funny, poor thing. i like david archuleta but he sounds the same each week and is getting boring to me. i also will be so happy when amanda goes home!

Michael said...

Finally, Amanda is gone! Ding dong Amandas gone, Amandas gone, Amandas gone. Ding dong the wicked Amandas gone. Now we just need Jason gone.

Erin said...

Haven't watched it at all, but Carly is from San Diego, and worked at this Irish pub that has really really tastey food (singing weekly I beleive). I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Its cute they have American Idol nights there so the regulars can cheer her on