Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Today is (should be) the day!

Here we are, December 10th, my due date, and guess what... The baby has decided to take an extended stay in my belly. True, the day isn't over yet...he could surprise me, but it is unlikely. I have heard that only 5-10% of women deliver on their actual due date. That doesn't give me much hope for today.

The hard part for me now will be the complete lack of knowing. I've always had today to look forward to. Back in October I needed something to keep me looking forward so I created one of those silly countdown chains, and of course I had the pregnancy ticker here on my blog. It just gave me a daily reminder that I was in fact making progress in my pregnancy, day by day nearing the finish line. So, pulling off the final piece of my chain today was bittersweet. I made it to my due date! Hooray!! Now, I just get to wait day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute for my little boy to make his grand entrance into this world.

Well, he will come when the time is right, and I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, so he may have his own idea about how long we wait until taking matters into his own hands (I will keep you posted).

I've been thinking a lot lately about the special task of raising a child. Some of those thoughts have scared me, others excite me. I have been moved to tears more in this week than I have throughout my entire pregnancy. (I really haven't been too overemotional, just now at the end). I guess to sum up my thought processes and the one solution that has given me comfort over all the scary things I am about to experience is to just say: rely on prayer.

I have now rededicated myself to truly understanding my Heavenly Father's hand in my life. I know He blesses me and my family constantly, and He will continue to do so, and it is my job to continue working for Him and thanking Him for those blessings. I can find comfort in knowing who I am, and who my son is, and where he came from. I love that I can turn to my Heavenly Father at any time of the day, with any concern I have, and that He will hear me and answer my prayer.

I am so blessed that my mom will be coming to stay with us (either as soon as the baby decides to come, but definitely by this Saturday) to help me. She is a fantastic woman that has already raised six children. She has a soft and gentle touch with children, she has a gift, and I hope that she passes her gift on to me! It will be great having her here. I can't wait!

Well, I don't want to go on forever, luckily I have a journal that I have been keeping for me to rant to. But I just wanted to give the update for today. Hopefully my next post will be about me going into labor!

5 comments:

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Oh boy i feel for you Katie. I was 41 weeks when I delivered Lauren and after years of waiting I couldn't wait to hold her in my arms and I know those feelings of frustration it's good to think you can't go longer than 42 weeks so it will happen soon. I'm thinking your dream might come true and the 15th will be the day. let's see. keep us posted and is the best tool in parenting. :)

Daytrippingmom Media said...

i meant to add praying is the best guide/tool for parenting. Heavenly Father will be the with you and Matt along the parenting way.

Erin said...

come onnnnnnnn baby! dive dive dive!
Good luck Katie. My thoughts have been on you all day. I'm sure you will do great! I can't wait to hear your baby story. I know you will be a great Mom, and Matt will be a great Dad

Cristin said...

I was four days "late" with Luke, but was a due date anyway, you know. It's really just a guess. You know you'll have the baby sometime in the next two weeks. Enjoy the extra time you and Matt get just to yourselves.

Stephanie said...

hey kaite, found you on candace's blog. I was 10 days late, I've been there, and it sucks!