Monday, December 1, 2008

Nesting=tick tock tick tock

Ok, so I have found the true cause of nesting this late into my pregnancy. It is to keep myself and my mind preoccupied so I don't sit here and twiddle my thumbs for hours wondering if I am going to start feeling contractions THIS minute or not.

Truly, I have found that the more I do, the less I think about it. I am sure that if my own thinking power could start labor, this baby would have been out a week ago! But, seeing as how there is no proven way to start labor, besides an IV drip, I plan on just trying to live my life as busily as I can until...

I officially quit work two Friday's ago, and I still have a week and a half until my due date. There was no way I could keep working up until my due date. Besides the

  1. complete exhaustion I felt half-way through the day, and
  2. having to go pee in between patients, and
  3. starving until lunch time, and then again until the end of the day (no time for snacking), and
  4. my swollen and puffy hands would go numb (kind of a problem when you are working with sharp metal instruments in someone's mouth)
I just couldn't fit in the operatory anymore. My enormous body would take up so much room, that my stomach would actually be touching the patient's head. Tell me that that isn't awkward! I kept pulling hair with my stomach as I rolled my chair around. Yeah, it was definitely time to stop working.

I guess the good thing about not working any more is that I don't have to answer the same 3 questions over and over all day long with each patient:
  1. Its a boy
  2. He's due December 10th
  3. Yes, I am excited. (I will NEVER ask a pregnant woman if she is excited ever again!)
I digress,
This weekend, to keep ourselves busy, Matt and I went to see "Australia" (a 3 hour movie), we took naps, I went out to Babies R Us the day after Thanksgiving to finish up our shopping, and we have almost finished the baby's room.

So far this morning I have made banana bread, I have scheduled an appointment with the sanitation department for them to come pick up a bunch of junk, I have washed my bedsheets, ironed Matt's work clothes, had Matt pull down the Christmas decorations, and I caught up on The Amazing Race.

Plans for this week are:
  • Try to make a delicious ham dinner :)
  • Scrub my bathroom
  • Clean the kitchen
  • Fold all the laundry
  • Finish reading one of my baby books
  • Recheck and repack my hospital bag
  • Clean out my van and install the 2nd car seat base
  • Decorate for Christmas
  • Clean out the extra bedroom where my mom will be sleeping when she comes
  • Bake some more
  • Vacuum each room like 3 times
  • Pay all our bills so I don't sit in the hospital room wondering if there is a bill due that day
  • Shave my legs
  • Write thank you cards
Ok, not an all inclusive list...I don't want you all to know how messy my house is. :) Oh, then of course I will probably stop every couple of hours to check my favorite blogs...so I need everyone to be on their best "updating" behavior, because I am going to need some stuff to read! Thanks for your help!

Now it is off to Kmart to buy some blankets for the dogs before it gets really cold.

5 comments:

Cristin said...

I would like to hear what you thought of "Australia." Enjoy yourself, you will probably never have this much time again until you are old and retired.

Shannon Nielsen said...

Ha ha the list you made out says it all about being nearly due - you think you've got the energy and time for it all - don't overwork yourself! This is the time to put your feet up and sleep!!!!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

haha.. i love it. I was an absolute maniac for three weeks. I organized all of my house , cleaned from top to bottom. I also drove my big butt to the beach and would walk for hours every day trying to induce labor and nothing.. ahh those were the days. When I was pregnant with Mikey it was a totally different story. I didn't have time to nest- it never stops once you have a little one. Enjoy because your house will never be as clean as it will be when nesting. I promise!!!!

Erin said...

YAY single digits now! I can't wait to meet your little bugglet! I'd invite you to my xmas party this year, but I'm thinking "giving birth" might be one of the better excuses I'll hear :D

Amanda said...

Katie! You can do it!!! Will be thinking of you this week and next! Can't wait to see pictures.