Saturday, September 20, 2008

28 weeks (7 months baby!), update

First of all, I want to thank all you lovely ladies that left such nice comments on my previous post. It is so nice to have a place to express my feelings, and not worry about people criticizing me about the things I say in the heat of the venting moment... and so I must also thank anyone who might have felt like telling me to "get over it," but held their tongue :)

Actually I am feeling much better now. Matt and I have been keeping extremely busy! Besides our regular work schedules, we have been busy with doctor appointments, glucose tests, and we started our childbirth classes! My dad likes to tease (even though he is right), it doesn't really matter if I go to these classes, the baby knows how to come out and it will happen no matter what. But, I already paid for the classes, so I am going to go!

We just finished our childbirth class. I thought it was pretty helpful. She discussed everything from where we park our cars, to the delivery itself. Our teacher/nurse was great, she was one of these old Irish midwives. She had a lot to say, and wasn't afraid to tell it like it is! Matt was a pretty good student, he only slightly looked away when she showed us the slides of actual childbirth (no movies). We also got down on the floor and practiced breathing through all the different stages of labor, including delivery. It was a pretty good class, the worse part was that it was a 3 hour class from 10am-1pm...hello??? Pregnant women missing lunch??? Not so smart. My favorite part of the class was the fact that the teacher would refer to the "dad" as the "husband." It was so nice for someone to be non-politically correct for a change. Yes, I am having a baby, with my husband, not just my "partner." Actually we know for a fact that there was at least one couple in the class that wasn't married, oh well.

We also attended our breastfeeding class. I was shocked to see the room full of couples!! Matt and I drove separate cars on purpose, because I told him that if he was the only guy there then he had permission to leave. Most of the ladies in this class were about to POP! No kidding, some only had a week or two left in their pregnancies. Matt, and the other men, actually were pretty mature during the class...mostly. There were a few giggles here and there. I think as the class went on everyone stops looking at "boobs" and starts seeing them as "how the baby eats." It was an interesting phenomena, even for me. Obviously I already knew that that is how a baby eats, but my attitude and previous ideas about what it was like shifted a little, and I feel a lot more comfortable with actually doing it. We did bring a doll to practice with. Our "baby" was Turk the ape from Disney's "Tarzan."


We will also be taking the childcare class, which goes over carseat safety and all the other child care stuff.

Besides all that, I went for my 3-hour glucose test. It wasn't horrible, well...the lime flavored syrup-drink they had me drink was awful. If I ever have to do that test again, I think I would prefer the orange flavor. I got to sit in a room in the back of the lab with a recliner. I watched a move on my laptop and took a short nap. Of course periodically I got interrupted (how rude) so they could draw my blood and have me pee in a cup. I don't have my results yet, I go see the doctor this next Thursday... I will let you know (I am sure you are all dying to know!) :)

Now, probably the most exciting thing that has happened lately is with Matt. In my profile, it mentions how Matt and his friends are trying to start a business and make a movie. Well, their first movie has been SOLD!!!! So, what that means is: the company Overture bought the story from The Juniper Sequence, and wrote out a check to buy the story. Now that money won't pay for making the movie, in fact, it won't pay for much :) except the lawyers and paying investors. BUT, they are actually going to be making a movie! And since I know people will want to know, it is a rock 'n roll love story told through alternate realities. It is complicated, and it is artsy, and quite frankly I am not sure if I have the actual idea of the story right...but who cares! Congratulations to Matt and his buddies...all their hard work is starting to pay off, and I know it is only going to get better from here!

5 comments:

Jamie and Family said...

I never took any classes, I think it would have been interesting. We were signed up with Jordyn (our first) but when she came 14 weeks early, we never got to do them! After that, with the 2nd and 3rd children, its sort of like "old hat" (or so I THOUGHT, but each time really can be so diff!).

Waaaayy to go Matt!! Congrats, that's very exciting about the movie being sold!!

Jamie and Family said...

Hey Katie! To answer your question....Jordyn was born at 26 1/2 weeks. Can you believe that? It becomes more real when you are at that stage of pregnancy and are like "Whoooaaahhh". I remember the week before, my best friend was telling me about a documentary she saw where a baby was born at 26 weeks and how scary it was. Little did I know I was a few days away from living that! From that experience, I learned to trust my instinct. I knew something wasn't right, even though they kept telling me I was fine.

Hang in there! You're getting close!

Case Family said...

Way to go Matt and Katie. Kristy and I went through the child birthing class for our first one (Lillian). They were the longest 3 hour classes times x6 weeks of our lives. Although, Kristy found it boring and disgusting (aka movie shots). She only found a few things interesting. Kristy didn't really think she needed the breast feeding class. Plus she didn't want to sit through another "boring" class so we decided to skip the breast feeding class. We did, however, need to call a nursing coach while in the hospital just to make sure Lillian was "latched on properly". Let us know if you learn anything new and worthwhile in the childcare class.
Congrats on the movie deal Matt...it has been a long time coming.
Brandon =)

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I really liked our childbirth class. We took a condensed Super Saturday version from 8-4. It was long but super informative.

Congrats on the movie Mat!! AWESOME!!

p.s. Thanks for helping out with the kids yesterday!!

Ashley said...

I have been wondering if his movie got sold. Congrats!! That is so exciting and a dream come true.

Your classes sound pretty cool too. I was freaking out with Chloe that I wouldn't know how to do anything. I took a one day childbirth class, but the car seat and safety class would have been nice.

Also I hope you pass the glucose test. I will keep my fingers crossed.