Thursday, September 11, 2008

3-hour glucose test

So, I have another post about pregnancy...sorry, but it is probably the only interesting thing that is happening in my life right now.

I went and took my 1-hour glucose test last week, and I failed! WHAT?!? Are you kidding me? No, I failed. They want the glucose number to be somewhere between 60-140, and my number was a whopping 141...yeah, just one number too high. Dang.

Now, I probably failed the first one because I literally ate lunch right before I took the test. There were no instructions to fast prior to the test, or to wait a certain amount of time after eating, so I didn't think there would be a problem, but apparently there is!

So, now I get to go take the 3-hour glucose test this next Wednesday. I have to follow a 3-day diet and then fast for 10 hours prior to the test. The diet should be pretty easy. I have to consume AT LEAST the amount of food listed on the diet...but more is ok! I guess this will help them see if my body can adequately break down all my carbohydrates.

For the day of the test, my plan is just to take the laptop and a DVD (or 2) to keep myself occupied. *Sigh* so boring! Oh well...

Anyone else have to do this?

9 comments:

Cristin said...

I remember bringing my laptop with me for just the 1 hour test. Sorry you failed, I bet you're right about why you are a 141, and this one will probably come back with better results.

Susie said...

I failed my 1 hour glucose test too! And I ate right before too. And I ate really sugary stuff. But sure enough, I passed the 3 hour one. It was not a fun test to take. I was so hungry by the end. Good luck with that and make sure to bring a really interesting book!

Case Family said...

When I had the 1 hour test they didn't care when the last time I ate. They just gave me this "orange soda" drink, which is gross by the way, to drink in a certain amount of time. When I was pregnant with Lillian I also failed, just barely. But I wasn't put on any diet before taking the test and I can't remember if I had to fast or not, probably did. But all I know is that I hated being poked 4 times and sitting there FOREVER. I was close to not passing that one, too. But I passed. I'm hoping this pregnancy I won't have to do it. Good Luck!!!

Tracy said...

ugh. Sorry Katie - maybe you can make a fun post while you are there. :) The pregnancy posts are all very fun by the way - it's so exciting!!!

Candace said...

That makes me want to cry for you. I HATED taking my glucose test, since I don't have a laptop I was so BORED. I just can't imagine doing it for 3 hours.

Jennifer said...

that sucks that you have to do the 3 hour! I always passed the first one because I didn't eat anything with sugar the day before and I would make the appointment first thing in the morning without eating breakfast! I did take a book to read for the hour test though!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I failed by 1 point also. It sucked.. My doctors range was 60-135- I scored a 136- and I had to take it. I scored 136 with Lauren and 137 with Michael. I had to take the 3 hour test twice. I took it pretty early in the morning - took a book and the lab I took my test at had a nice room dedicated for people that have to take 3 hour fasting tests. I had a nice little lounge with a TV and reading materials all to myself. It wasn't too bad.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

oh forgot to add I passed I passed both 3 hour tests without a problem.

Unknown said...

that's pretty funny considering you're a diabetic lifesaver!!!