Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"Just you wait!"

I need to vent a little.

Although I have waited (on purpose) six years to get pregnant, I understand that there are physical changes that occur during pregnancy. I remember seeing my mother pregnant with my little sister. I watched my sister in her pregnancy (and believe me, she didn't hold anything back--she told me everything), I watched my aunts and other family members, friends, acquaintances, and perfect strangers during pregnancies. It seems to me that the pattern is: you get pregnant, and as time goes by, you become a little more physically uncomfortable. Hmm, that is just based off pure visual and auditory observation. Let's add on to that my education. I have spent years studying the human body. I have studied anatomy from head to toe, I know the muscles, the organs, the bones, the systems, I have a freakishly strange fascination with the human body and the way it works. I know HOW pregnancy happens, and I know what happens inside the body when a woman is pregnant. Now, let's add on the fact that I actually am pregnant now. I have been reading books, and researching information online, and talking to other mothers and other pregnant women. I think it is quite safe to say that I ought to know what "to expect when expecting" (the reference is completely coincidental).

So, that brings me to my complaint. (Just to cover myself, I am not addressing this to anyone. I am making a general complaint about something that I get from a lot of different people, so please don't think I am attacking you). I can't stand it when I make a comment such as: 1. "I have to pee, again" 2. "Oh, the baby is in my way" 3. "I could hardly reach to tie my shoes today" etc., then someone always follows with the inevitable "Just you wait..." AAAAHHHH!!!

Why do people insist on pointing out that whatever I am currently going through is nothing compared to what the end of my pregnancy is going to be like? Do they think that I don't realize that my baby is going to continue growing and therefore I will get bigger, and therefore have less mobility, more frequent trips to the bathroom (both day and night), and just plain discomfort overall? Why do they dismiss the fact that I am currently pregnant and I must pass through this stage first, before reaching the end of my pregnancy. And why do they always say with with such a threatening tone? "Just you wait!!!" Should I sit in my bed and rock back and forth and fear the rest of my pregnancy? Why won't people just allow me to enjoy my pregnancy? If I have a tiny complaint about they way I feel for a split second (i.e. "Oooh, he is sitting on my bladder!"), they have to always point out that it is only going to get worse (and I think it gives them joy knowing that I am going to be in as much pain/discomfort that they were in once upon a time). OH the doom of pregnancy!

If only I could make an announcement to the world: "Hey everyone, I am pregnant and sometimes a little uncomfortable. Overall I am having an awesome pregnancy, and yes I realize I may not always enjoy it this much. I realize that not every pregnancy is the same, and yes I feel completely blessed to be having such an easy pregnancy, so far. I understand and completely expect that as my child grows my body will be pushed to its limits! I realize that I will have a difficult time moving, getting dressed, taking walks of any length, breathing in general, getting behind a wheel of a car, fitting into my clothes, I will experience backache, sciatic pain, swelling of all my appendages, a possibility of hemorrhoids, stretch marks and incontinence, my face will get fat and I will look like I have been stung by 30 bees, I will have to pee 45 times a day, and 45 times each night (and yes, I've heard it a million times that "this is nature's way of preparing you for your sleepless nights with the baby..."), I also realize that my breasts will swell up to an unnaturally large size and will hurt while they fill up with milk, I realize that breastfeeding may not be comfortable, especially at the beginning, I realize I will leak milk (in the shower, when babies cry, and for no reason at all)." I know I haven't included every possible scenario, but I think I have made my point. I think that I should say this full disclaimer each and every time I dare say anything slightly negative about my pregnancy so I don't get the "Just you wait" speech. Or I can just stop talking about it all together, but that won't work either, because the only thing that people want to know about is how the pregnancy is.

To be fair, I completely accept and appreciate helpful information. If someone has had an interesting experience with their pregnancy, both the good and the bad, I love to hear about it, because maybe it is something I wasn't aware of. But I just don't like it when people are trying to scare me, or warn me, about the future of my pregnancy.

*Sigh*
Ok, thank you for letting me vent. I am sure it is just my hormones allowing me to get frustrated. :)

9 comments:

Cristin said...

Something I don't like now is that if I make a comment like, "Whoa, my kids are hard to deal with." I hear something like, "Well, I thought you wanted to have kids. Be careful what you wish for." That irritates me.

Andrea said...

Katie my dear.....you vent all you want to.

And, ENJOY your pregnancy. You look beautiful pregnant.

Jamie and Family said...

I think its great to vent! And to remind the general public ways they may be annoying even when they don't know it :-)

Holly said...

Katie,

That stinks! Sorry you've had to deal with that! And unfortunately, it won't stop once the baby is born - the comments are STILL coming, and I've got 3 kids! I think there are people who assume (and as I just stated on Aracely's blog, you know where THAT gets people) that if they have a child/children, then they know exactly what you must be dealing with. Ok, yes it's true, you're having a baby, and not a turnip or watermelon or whatever - but everybody reacts a little differently to pregnancy and everything else. Just vent it out - let it go, and move ahead. You look great, you're doing great and so is the little "man-cub"! :)

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Katie,
I think you have to vent.It's healthy and just feels good. It's really annoying when people have to pitch in their two cents when they are not wanted. Sometimes you just want to complain and have someone listen and not respond.

I totally agree with Holly in that it's never ending.It started from the first day I announced I was pregnant with Lauren until the other day when I was telling someone that it's pretty hard to balance it all in motherhood- their response.. oh well you wanted to have kids--

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

oooooo I want to see the last person to say that before you flip out and pummel them with your purse :D

*** I couldn't stand looking at my grammar typo so i deleted and re added :P *****

MaryAnn said...

Hey cutie! Just hang in there. Unfortunately people tell you unhelpful things as soon as they think they can about pregnancy and parenthood. No matter what people say to you it doesn't prepare you for everything anyway. Sometimes you wish you could be blunt back when people make comments like that. It's not easy Katie,and you're allowed to express your discomfort. Don't forget that venting is good for after you have the baby too. I know it has saved me time and again.

Shannon Nielsen said...

I always hated it when people would share with me their hospital horror stories - espeshially during my first pregnancy when it was all a mystery. Some of them got so awful that I actually had to tell people to stop right then and there because I just couldn't handle it. I laughed it off of course saying OK that's enough if you tell me more I may never want to have kids again.

Another pet peeve were those who felt they got a badge of honor for not using drugs/epidural during their pregnancies. I had a mother of 5 kids tell me she chose the epidural with her last and would have used it with all her kids had it been available. She said it was the cadillac version of labor and delivery, why settle for less? Then there were the - "oh I didn't ask for an epidural UNTIL I reached ___# dilation" - like it makes a difference!Of course there were many who didn't act like that but for the few who did, you just walk away with your head high and know there is NO PERFECT one way to be a mother.