Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pregnancy update: Halfway done!

This last Wednesday was not only Matt's birthday, but it was also the end of 20 weeks of my pregnancy. Woohoo! Half-way done, and just about 20 more weeks to go! I am loving my pregnancy. I have heard a lot of different stories about pregnancies (the good, the bad, and the ugly). I am lucky enough (so far) to be having a great pregnancy. I realize that it may not always go so smoothly, so I am just enjoying every minute of it.

I thought I could just write out a little update about my pregnancy thus far. Yes, I am 20 weeks, yes I am having a boy, no we don't have a name picked out. However, since everyone and their brother seems to want to know the baby's name I sometimes pick a strange name like "Cornelius Morpheus" or "Curly" to rhyme with our last name. HA! My bump is starting to really show, there are times I think I might just look like someone that ate too much, then other times I think, "yeah...I look pregnant." Here is a picture from today, what do you think? My little boy likes to move. I first started noticing him moving when I played some music for him. So, every day I like to play a little mixture of classical, The Beatles, They Might Be Giants, and I think the Star Wars' theme song (Matt made the mix on my iPod). I know he can hear the loud noise because he always kicks right underneath the headphone. One night the little squirt wasn't really moving too much so I asked Matt to put his hand on my tummy, and within seconds that little guy really started dancing! He just wanted to play with daddy! Cute!

I have no aversions to food or smells, and I am hungry constantly. The baby likes to sit low, like on top of my bladder, so I have to pee constantly too. He even can get in the way when I am sitting down, or try to cross my legs, etc. But my mom gave me the good advice of getting on my knees and putting my head to the floor so my bum is in the air, that way gravity will get him to move up a little bit.

I am no longer having sciatic pain. I found comfort in the form of massage! :) In fact, I got a massage and then a few days later I went to girls camp and the pain was gone! HOORAY! So, I am just keeping up with the massages once a month.

At night I am sleeping with like 50 pillows. I don't think there is room for Matt on the bed anymore! I keep the pillows all around me. I have been thinking about buying a big pregnancy body pillow, but they cost $50-60, and I can't decide on which one I want. Does anyone have an opinion about these? Do I really need one? Which one should I get?

On a medical note: I do have placenta previa (or at least that is what the last ultrasound showed). So I go in for another ultrasound at the end of August (hooray, more pictures!) to try to see if there are any changes. My doctor didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal, and after doing some research I have found that it isn't uncommon for placenta previa to be present early in the pregnancy, then as the tummy grows the placenta is pulled away from the cervix. (I officially apologize to any male that might be reading this).

Other than that, life is great! I am having a wonderful time! I get so excited every time my little boy moves, it just gives me the warmest feeling in my heart (no, not heartburn--which I am not having either by the way). Matt has fun with the baby too. I just know he is going to be a great dad. I can't wait to meet my little guy, but until that day, I will just keep enjoying being pregnant. (I will let you know if my attitude ever changes!)

12 comments:

Shakirra said...

Hey Katie, it's Shakirra! I was excited to check your blog when I saw a comment on Cristin's about you being pregnant! How exciting! Whenever I think about you I have fond memories and a smile that come instantly! Thanks for all the fun we had and your time spent helping Aaron. You were a really good friend! I am glad that your pregnancy is going so well! I just wish I was near by so I could rub elbows with you so that some day I will have that same luck with a pregnancy! You are blessed and I am glad that the rest of your life is seemingly all in order and going smoothly! I miss your smile! Talk to you soon!
Shakirra Dohm

MaryAnn said...

I am so glad to hear the details of how things are going. Half way, awesome! I wish you all thest in the months to come.

MaryAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashley said...

I think you barley look pregnant. I had a co-worker who said to me. You don't look pregnant, it just looks like you ate a whole bunch of cakes.

Granted we did joke a lot, but he said this more than 2 times. It was hard holding back the urge to strangle him, but I kept the thought of HR in my mind.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

You look really cute. First pregnancies are so amazing. The first time you feel them move, hear the heartbeat etc.. You are so lucky you have great pregnancies. I've had yuckie ones. I'm hoping the third one for me is a charm.

Erin said...

yaaaay baby! hmmm I think Bill can look that pregnant after a trip to a buffet :P

Unknown said...

Hi, this is Kelly, Mike Chapman's sister. I am as far along as you are in being pregnant. He told me what he said to you on Sunday and I apologize for his lack of understanding. I got after him for it. Anyway, you look great!

Michael said...

I'm sorry!!! I'm a retard. You look good.

Shannon Nielsen said...

You're one of those fashionable, adorable mama's that I so look up to - you (and Matt) should be proud!! Check out the baby boutique in downtown orange on the circle - Katie you'll spend hours there - my grandma took me last time we were out and I was in heaven!!

Jennifer said...

You definetly look pregnant but just the earlier stages of it. Cute! You sound like everything is going great and that's awesome! That's a little scary about the placenta previa thing but a lot of times it DOES clear up on its own. My friend had it and it did go away on its own so hopefully everything will be ok with you. Keep us updated!

Erin said...

Kristine mentioned she saw you the other day, and said you have an adorable baby belly :P

Aerial Paws said...

Silly Katie! You don't have a placenta or a cervix or any of those things. You're a sister! Goofy girl... you're just pretending to be pregnant! lol :)