Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Where were you?

Ok, so most of us Californian's know that there was an earthquake today, that is no longer news. The earthquake originated in Chino Hills, but was felt from Oxnard to San Diego...strangely enough I have spoken to people who were in both of those cities. I was in Placentia, which is only 15 miles away...so we were rocking pretty good. I was working in a dental office. I had left my patient in the chair for a minute to go get her x-rays when it happened, so unfortunately my patient was alone, reclined in a dental chair. She got a little freaked out, luckily she was the last patient of the morning, and we had already finished her cleaning. So were you doing anything interesting when the earthquake hit?

So now, let me transition to a little question. Why are people so scared of earthquakes? I am not talking about the enormous ones that take down buildings and kill people, I am talking about the ones like today. 5.4 magnitude, no damage, no serious injuries, just a few things getting knocked down. I understand that if you aren't from an earthquake-rich part of the world that it can be a little scary, but if you have lived in California then you know what they are like, and you should know what to do. And any building built in California after the 1930s is built strong enough to withstand minor quakes, unlike buildings in small undeveloped countries where an earthquake can be devastating.
Today I had a lady spaz out on me. She grabbed my arm with her claws and like a death grip, did not let go! She left a mark. She was running back and forth like a crazy person during the earthquake and shouting (doesn't help that she is one of the employees at this office and her priority should be the safety of the patients). She actually thought an airplane was landing on the building. Then, we have to listen to non-stop coverage of the earthquake on tv, on the radio, etc. Can anyone explain to me why earthquakes are scary? Logic says: move away from anything that might fall and hurt you, and just hang on. That is really all there is to do (duck and cover!). *sigh*

P.S. I actually think earthquakes are kind of fun! I would have enjoyed this one if that lady hadn't been skewering my arm!

6 comments:

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Here's my experience. In 1994- I lived through the Northridge earthquake. It was almost 7 points.. buildings came down, people were killed, etc.. I was 18 years old so I remember well. I only lived 6 miles away from the epicenter and what can I say although I don't panic- I can't help but become a little frightened because it brings back those memories of a wall coming down on our home, a hutch falling, my family was very lucky to not be hurt. I think it all depends.. maybe that lady had something similar happen. My father lost his home as a child to an earthquake back in his country - so in his case.. earthquakes bring out that what if this is like that horrible time. I'm not sure if this helps but it might give you a different perspective.

Andrea said...

I'm like you I don't freak out, but when it's over...I worry about my loved ones and are they okay???

I tried calling them all yesterday to no avail and that wasn't fun. Turns out, everyone was just fine.

I'm totally with you on the whole news media making a big deal out of nothing. They need to chill out!!!!

Erin said...

Yeaaaah I wasn't doing anything interesting... Sitting in my office going huh everything is shaki..... oh wait it stopped. The funny part was that even in San Diego, all my coworkers were freaking out and calling their family to see if they were ok...

I still remember the Northridge quake too, but I've noticed since then, when there is a quake I'm totally fine unless it keeping going or starts to get stronger... only then do I start going ummmmmmm ok want off the ride now k thanks.

Regardless I don't think panicking is a very productive thing to do... somehow Katie I don't think you are quite as strong as a doorway... maybe you should have let that lady know

Cristin said...

I was in Torrance and didn't even feel it because I was driving in the car. So sad. I would have liked to have felt it.

Jennifer said...

Katie you make me laugh! Dan and I were at a jumping zone with the girls when the quake hit. I was holding Elisabeth on a bench and Dan was on a bouncer with Hannah. Hannah had no clue anything happened and was so upset (crying and screaming) because we had to take her off. (They made everyone leave the building to make sure everything was ok). Unlike you I am SOOOOOOOO afraid of Earthquakes and I have lived here my entire life. I had the girls sleep in our bedroom that night incase another one hit. I can remember when I was little we would all sleep in my parent's bedroom on the floor after there was an earthquake. I guess it's just the fact that you have no idea if it is going to be a HUGE quake or not and not knowing when it will stop. I do not panic and freak out like that coworker of yours though! LOL I was actually really calm during it and went to get Dan and Hannah off the bouncer. Now if I was home when it hit I may have screamed alittle and ducked under the table or soemthing and been all shaken up! lol ANYWAY, that is too funny how the lady reacted I bet she was embarrassed!

Unknown said...

I was teaching yoga in Redondo. It wasn't very strong there are we were all kinda looking around like "is this an earthquake, or am I just really dizzy?" Then the hanging lights started swinging back and forth nicely in unison and it was pretty obvious.

Earthquakes = fun (as long as you don't die)